Ford FMX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmdr18

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Convertible 302/FMX
Hello Mustang World. So here is my problem. I have a 72 mustang convertible with a 302 and FMX tranny. I picked it up last year and it seemed to have lost 2nd gear. In my infinite wisdom I had paid a guy some money, who apparently purchased a used FMX on Ebay, splashed some fresh fluid in it and away I went. It got home fine. I was excited.. I am in the military and had to go away for a while. Just returned home and in my garage I have a very large puddle of what could be type F. So, does anyone here have an FMX that is not currently leaking that could use a new home in NH or do you suggest that I take on the challenge of a self rebuild. I say self rebuild because I have called a few tranny shops and they have all virtually said the same thing. Sales speech, " well it's an old iron tranny" expensive"blah" blah". Not sure who or what they take me for, but the want 2k plus. I was born at night, but not last night. So, any suggestions?

Hello Mustang World. So here is my problem. I have a 72 mustang convertible with a 302 and FMX tranny. I picked it up last year and it seemed to have lost 2nd gear. In my infinite wisdom I had paid a guy some money, who apparently purchased a used FMX on Ebay, splashed some fresh fluid in it and away I went. It got home fine. I was excited.. I am in the military and had to go away for a while. Just returned home and in my garage I have a very large puddle of what could be type F. So, does anyone here have an FMX that is not currently leaking that could use a new home in NH or do you suggest that I take on the challenge of a self rebuild. I say self rebuild because I have called a few tranny shops and they have all virtually said the same thing. Sales speech, " well it's an old iron tranny" expensive"blah" blah". Not sure who or what they take me for, but the want 2k plus. I was born at night, but not last night. So, any suggestions?
If you are mechanically inclined, the FMX is a fairly straight forward transmission to rebuild.  Kenneth Collins of Bad Shoe Productions sales a step by step video series that walks you through disassembly and rebuild of the transmission, as well as sells some ofthe specialty tools needed for the rebuild.  I rebuilt the FMX in my 69 Mach 1 and 73 Mach 1 this past year using his video and clutch compressor tool.  I believe he is selling the rebuild kits as well.  I was able to rebuild both transmissions, with parts, convertors, bands and all for less than I was quoted for 1 rebuild.

It is worth the effort, if you can do it.

my question is ... where is it leaking from ????? front/rear seals are easy to replace. oil pan gasket is easy too. u could have a bad O'ring on the dip stick tube and that's easy.

i'll say the front seal u do need to pull the trans to do it. but with any of the above u are talking less then 1/2 hr a do it yourself. more time for front seal.

if u don't see where it's leaking then clean the trans with brake fluid and refill and drive again. if it leaked once it'll leak again.

Aside from the above mentioned dipstick oring There is also a seal on the shift linkage bell crank lever that often leaks and could be changed with trans in place.

FMX are very durable, try to fix the leak and see if it runs.

Troubleshoot the issue before rebuilding, last thing you need is to rebuild it and have the same problem again.

If you had a problem with the other one not shifting to second gear, sometimes the governor gets clogged with junk. There is a small screen there, you can access it by removing the tail shaft.

I think $2000 is too much, it’s a simple transmission compared to the newer ones.

Good luck

Yeah, seems like your best bet is to first determine if that is actually trans fluid on your floor. Fill the trans and run the car, try to isolate the source of the leak. If the trans operates fine otherwise you just have to fix the leak. Could it be as easy as a leaky pan gasket? It's a shame if your second gear issue with the original trans was an easy fix, but that ship has sailed.

Back