Initial Timing 351C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
What do you guys recommend to run for initial timing with a stock 351C 2v with 680 carb, performer intake, and long tube headers?? I believe stock timing is around 6* if I remember right??  But that seems to be a little low. I have also added the duraspark ignition that has the white wire hooked up that will retard the timing a few degrees on start. I was thinking of starting around 12* and go from there as a baseline. What do you guys think?? Not sure what my total advance is on this distributor...haven't checked it yet. Its a stock duraspark dizzy from a 76 Lincoln 460.

Last edited by a moderator:
11.5 :D Anything between 8 and 16 could be acceptable. I generally get em to idle well and crank/start easily using my vacuum gauge (Turn distributor to get maximum vacuum and then back off just a bit). Set your idle speed and adjust your idle mixture screws and reset your idle speed. At this point you should have a smooth idle then with the engine at 3K check the all in timing for being in the neighborhood of 32-36 degrees and just let the base timing be whatever it is for the initial test drive. I then let my observations lead to further fine tuning.

Manifold

If you use ported vacuum for the advance (I do not, but there is a difference of opinion on this and my engine is about as stock as Madonna Louise Ciccone 's virginity.) it would only work after the engine was fully warmed and for the all in setting, at idle you wouldn't be able to adjust for max vacuum.

I would start in the 8° to 10° range, see how it runs after it warms up, get the carburetor adjusted, check the fluids, and then bump it up a couple of degrees at a time until it sounds good and feels good, adjusting the carburetor as needed at each step.

Back