A/c hose question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I own a first generation Mustang repair and restoration shop. I have 2 Mach 1's a 70 and 71 that I am repairing/restoring. Am looking to get information about them
Hi all have a question I have a 1971 Mach 1 in my shop for repairs.  The line that feeds from the compressor and then connects to the line with sight glass and is a two part connection. On the end that connects to the sight glass section, when I took it apart had the remnants of what looked like a black o-ring going around the piece in the middle of that end. Is this just a common a/c o-ring or a piece of the hose assembly. I tried fitting a/c o-rings bit they seem to bind when tightening the two hoses. Is the piece that is broken up replaceable or an integral part of that hose and I need to get a new one?  Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Hi all have a question I have a 1971 Mach 1 in my shop for repairs.  The line that feeds from the compressor and then connects to the line with sight glass and is a two part connection. On the end that connects to the sight glass section, when I took it apart had the remnants of what looked like a black o-ring going around the piece in the middle of that end. Is this just a common a/c o-ring or a piece of the hose assembly. I tried fitting a/c o-rings bit they seem to bind when tightening the two hoses. Is the piece that is broken up replaceable or an integral part of that hose and I need to get a new one?  Thanks in advance for any and all help!!
Seems like it's the remnants of the old o'ring.  If you are staying with Freon 12 refrigerant, just replace it with a standard oil resistant o'ring.  If changing to 134a set - up, you'll need Viton rings on all these ends - usually pale green.  When you put them on, smear a little silicon based oil and roll them on around the edges - don't try to stretch all at once.  Start all the connections to " finger tight " then wriggle the tube in so it seats square before you tighten it fully.  Use a tube wrench - not your normal open ended one.

Have fun.

PKJ

Thank you all very much, original air tech guy said as you did, it was just an old o-ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back