Power steering box conversions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWally

Reaction score
My Car
1969 Grande'
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1972 Sprint Fastback
Hello Members,

Just wondering if any of you know of the feasibility of retrofitting the OEM 71-73 Mustang power steering gear boxes into the 69-70 Mustang? I am looking to get rid of the loose and leaking system on my 69 Mustang.  Thanks!

:huh:

A fellow car buddy had one of the Borgenson units listed installed in his 69 Mach and it was easy to install and made a huge difference in the drivability. I would highly recommend this swap to anyone who wants to drive there car.....

Thanks, Jay

I adapted a Saginaw style pump to my 71. It was a custom adaptation and it was not that hard. I think that if you find a Saginaw with the right fitting locations you should be able to accomplish in other Mustangs as long as the steering gear is compatible. Here is my write up:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-adapting-a-saginaw-pump

I am looking at the Borgeson setup for my 70 Mach 1 M-code. From what I have read folks are happy with the Borgeson setup. It is a fairly straight forward conversion for 6 cylinders and 302 automatic cars. The challenges are with big blocks and 351C engine particularly with manual trans you need to eliminate the Z-bar and they do not have a power steering mounting bracket that fits these blocks and the Saginaw pump. You can use the Ford OEM pump, BUT at low RPMs the power assist is very poor to non-existent.

Eliminate the Z-BAr and install a Hydraulic clutch or they make a specially designed Z-Bar for the conversion.

Options are to make your own Saginaw pump bracket or find a FOrd pump from a late 70s 4 x 4 pickup or bronco which use a Saginaw like high volume pump. The is also a high volume Cordone pump 20-6344 which is a retrofit pump designed to fit the stock Ford pump pulley and bracket, but this pump has been discontinued and I cannot find one use or reman anywhere..

The Saginaw power steering pump, used primarily by General Motors and Daimler Chrysler, is a very heavy-duty and silent pump that is a tried and true workhorse. It is so well designed that it is still in use today in many OEM vehicles and even in marine inboard/outboard applications.

The new retrofit Saginaw pump 20-6244 from Cardone has three key features that allow it to bolt in place of almost any standard Ford power steering pump.

Bracket Adapter - A special cast iron adapter is bolted to the front of this pump that is drilled to accept the standard Ford pump bracket.

Turned-down shaft -- The standard Saginaw pump shaft has been turned down to accept standard Ford pulleys.

PS Hose adapter - A special adapter has been fitted to back of the pump housing that accepts the late style "floating" Ford power steering hose.

I am continuing to research how to make the Borgeson conversion work with a Cleveland engine as I think it is the best conversion option out there for 69-70 Mustangs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at the Borgeson setup for my 70 Mach 1 M-code. From what I have read folks are happy with the Borgeson setup. It is a fairly straight forward conversion for 6 cylinders and 302 automatic cars. The challenges are with big blocks and 351C engine particularly with manual trans you need to eliminate the Z-bar and they do not have a power steering mounting bracket that fits these blocks and the Saginaw pump. You can use the Ford OEM pump, BUT at low RPMs the power assist is very poor to non-existent.

Eliminate the Z-BAr and install a Hydraulic clutch or they make a specially designed Z-Bar for the conversion.

Options are to make your own Saginaw pump bracket or find a FOrd pump from a late 70s 4 x 4 pickup or bronco which use a Saginaw like high volume pump. The is also a high volume Cordone pump 20-6344 which is a retrofit pump designed to fit the stock Ford pump pulley and bracket, but this pump has been discontinued and I cannot find one use or reman anywhere..

The Saginaw power steering pump, used primarily by General Motors and Daimler Chrysler, is a very heavy-duty and silent pump that is a tried and true workhorse. It is so well designed that it is still in use today in many OEM vehicles and even in marine inboard/outboard applications.

The new retrofit Saginaw pump 20-6244 from Cardone has three key features that allow it to bolt in place of almost any standard Ford power steering pump.

Bracket Adapter - A special cast iron adapter is bolted to the front of this pump that is drilled to accept the standard Ford pump bracket.

Turned-down shaft -- The standard Saginaw pump shaft has been turned down to accept standard Ford pulleys.

PS Hose adapter - A special adapter has been fitted to back of the pump housing that accepts the late style "floating" Ford power steering hose.

I am continuing to research how to make the Borgeson conversion work with a Cleveland engine as I think it is the best conversion option out there for 69-70 Mustangs.
Look at my thread for how i adapted mine. I used the stock plate for two bolts and then i built a bracket for the back. The most challenging part was to find the pulley and align the pump.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am looking at the Borgeson setup for my 70 Mach 1 M-code. From what I have read folks are happy with the Borgeson setup. It is a fairly straight forward conversion for 6 cylinders and 302 automatic cars.  The challenges are with big blocks and 351C engine particularly with manual trans you need to eliminate the Z-bar and they do not have a power steering mounting bracket that fits these blocks and the Saginaw pump. You can use the Ford OEM pump, BUT at low RPMs the power assist is very poor to non-existent.

Look at my thread for how i adapted mine. I used the stock plate for two bolts and then i built a bracket for the back. The most challenging part was to find the pulley and align the pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks I read thru it. Certainly may work on my 70 Mach as well.

Back