Motor mounts identification?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach-none

Reaction score
My Car
73 Sportsroof 351c
Hi all,

I’ve heard that 73 is an odd year for engine mounts.  One of my mounts has separated between the rubber and the metal part so need to replace it. Having seen previous posts regarding 73 I was hoping to find a number on mine when I removed it to try and identify whether someone has previously changed out the 73 mounts for something more available (pref upgrade too). The car was restored a few years ago in Canada so anything’s possible. I’ve take down a few pictures of the mount now it’s out but can’t see any numbers on it! Can’t anyone help identify it or advise on what to measure etc to do so, thanks in advance .! ....now to try and attach pics ?

That is a 71-72 mount. If they are being used on a 73 the frame perches should have been replaced with 71-72 perches. I did this on my 73 as you cannot buy 73 mounts.

Hard to tell for sure but it looks like that is a shorter 73 perch which to position engine properly would require the 73 style mounts. Like I said hard to tell for certain. Is your fan centered in the shroud?

Looks odd, my left perch looks like the 73 one but with a 72 mount?
The frame mounts in the pictures are 73 Hardtop/Fastback mount. It is easy to tell a 73 mount does not have a lip on it like the 71-72 mounts do. Furthermore, it is shorter than the 73 convertible mounts. Usually, you will have an engine alignment issue where the engine may be off center and/or tilted slightly. This usually causes the fan to scrap the shroud and may even create a transmission alignment issue. If you have none of these issues then just go to Napa and buy a new 71-72 mount for $30.

This will help you....

Last edited by a moderator:
The frame mounts in the pictures are 73 Hardtop/Fastback mount. It is easy to tell a 73 mount does not have a lip on it like the 71-72 mounts do. Furthermore, it is shorter than the 73 convertible mounts. Usually, you will have an engine alignment issue where the engine may be off center and/or tilted slightly. This usually causes the fan to scrap the shroud and may even create a transmission alignment issue. If you have none of these issues then just go to Napa and buy a new 71-72 mount for $30.

This will help you....

Thanks for that info too,  I've just looked at my fan shroud and sure enough its well scraped as the fan is sitting low! My brackets def look like the 73 ones as no lip as per your pictures.  As i can't find any 73 mounts look like i am going to get some Prothane 71/72 mounts and look for the correct brackets to suit.  My questions now is where can i get the correct frame brackets as uk breaker yards would be no use at all.  Were they ever reproduced?  Lets hope the extra lift of the engine is not going to affect other related parts like my hookers/stainless system etc as my cutouts are all squeezed under there too.

i apologise for all the questions and really appreciate all the responses to them

chris :thankyouyellow:

This will help you....

Thanks for that info too,  I've just looked at my fan shroud and sure enough its well scraped as the fan is sitting low! My brackets def look like the 73 ones as no lip as per your pictures.  As i can't find any 73 mounts look like i am going to get some Prothane 71/72 mounts and look for the correct brackets to suit.  My questions now is where can i get the correct frame brackets as uk breaker yards would be no use at all.  Were they ever reproduced?  Lets hope the extra lift of the engine is not going to affect other related parts like my hookers/stainless system etc as my cutouts are all squeezed under there too.

i apologise for all the questions and really appreciate all the responses to them

chris :thankyouyellow:
Chris, i found a set. check your PM messages. I also hAve a set of 73 captive motor mounts if you would prefer to go OEM stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back