"Most Original" Boss 351??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig the snow tires. Really wish they would stop trying to dispense little known tidbits, since they almost always get it wrong.

"One interesting fact here is that the Argent paint was applied over the body color; many Mustang aficionados don’t know that little tidbit."

Survey says? ----errrrrrrrr!

"All Boss 351s received these stylish chrome hood twist locks. Look closely and you will see a slight Argent surround around the perimeter of the unit that is often missed."

Whut?

I find the trunk odd. No fold down but a space saver spare appears to be bolted in and there is the bracket for a regular spare. I think you got space saver with Magnum 500 also?

The comment that he forgot to order the "AM/FM 8 Track". That would have been a trick since it was never offered on any of the 71 - 73 mustangs.

I find the trunk odd. No fold down but a space saver spare appears to be bolted in and there is the bracket for a regular spare. I think you got space saver with Magnum 500 also?
F60-15 tires included the space saver spare.

The article has a few oddities as previously mentioned. He saw a magazine with the new for '71 Boss 351 in purple? And was there editing perhaps or did I miss part of the story? I don't see how he thought the car was going to be a '69 Boss 302. Well they got the orange peel paint part correct. How would the original 1971 battery still start the car, no matter how well it was maintained? My twist locks are missing the argent surround, or perhaps they would be black on my Grabber Green car. heh Lots of rust on some of those parts underneath, but PA winters are not too forgiving especially with leaky garage door seals. It certainly is a cool car overall, and any press for the '71 to '73 models is good press.

Dig the snow tires. Really wish they would stop trying to dispense little known tidbits, since they almost always get it wrong.

"One interesting fact here is that the Argent paint was applied over the body color; many Mustang aficionados don’t know that little tidbit."

"All Boss 351s received these stylish chrome hood twist locks. Look closely and you will see a slight Argent surround around the perimeter of the unit that is often missed."

Whut?
All I saw was a slight rusty surround under the twist-lock bezel.   :whistling:

I know they're only new once, but this car is in bad need of a restoration - the underside of mine looked almost identical when I got it, and we all know how that turned out.  It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't some pieces of that car needing replacement as it sits due to cancer.  

I get the desire to preserve the originality, but when it comes at the expense of longevity, I question the sanity of such decisions... and the decision-makers as well.   :cool:

Whut?
Am the original owner of a Boss 351 and I state categorically that the argent paint WAS NOT applied over the body paint. When the argent on my lower quarters began to fade it was primer that showed thru....

Whut?
Am the original owner of a Boss 351 and I state categorically that the argent paint WAS NOT applied over the body paint. When the argent on my lower quarters began to fade it was primer that showed thru....

Interesting you should mention that.  When I had my original with Ram Air and TuTone soda blasted, the black TuTone came off right down to the metal with very good results... the Light Pewter areas, not so much (rust etched thru those areas).

Also of interest, my painter did the same technique - sprayed the black onto the rockers and hood TuTone area, then applied the body color over the top of that.  He had his reasons, apparently...

mrmach1,

You would think that Magnums, front spoilers, and hockey stick stripes were standard on all 71-73 Mustangs! 

Too bad they look so good, but now the unique look is gone since they seem to be on just about Mustang you see.

The front spoiler was one of the "loose" items that were placed in the trunk for installation during the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) at the dealership. I've seen a lot of valance panels damaged when vehicles were backed off the Motor Convoy transport trucks. Some of the Cowboys they had for drivers would have made quick work of the easily damaged front spoiler. Over the years when my Mach 1 was a daily driver I went through three on my car before I started respecting curbs. I installed one on my girlfriends' car and it almost made it a week!! At the time they were $24.00 from Ford so I learned NOT to say anything to her and just install another one.

The spoilers were not a standalone option and were standard and only available on the 71 Boss 351. If the Boss body color was one that called for argent lower and hood accent paint then an argent front spoiler was shipped with the car.

The front spoiler (along with the Mach 1 rear valance with exhaust cut-outs) was very hot over the counter sellers!   :)

mrmach1,

You would think that Magnums, front spoilers, and hockey stick stripes were standard on all 71-73 Mustangs! 

Too bad they look so good, but now the unique look is gone since they seem to be on just about Mustang you see.

The front spoiler was one of the "loose" items that were placed in the trunk for installation during the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) at the dealership. I've seen a lot of valance panels damaged when vehicles were backed off the Motor Convoy transport trucks. Some of the Cowboys they had for drivers would have made quick work of the easily damaged front spoiler. Over the years when my Mach 1 was a daily driver I went through three on my car before I started respecting curbs. I installed one on my girlfriends' car and it almost made it a week!! At the time they were $24.00 from Ford so I learned NOT to say anything to her and just install another one.

The spoilers were not a standalone option and were standard and only available on the 71 Boss 351. If the Boss body color was one that called for argent lower and hood accent paint then an argent front spoiler was shipped with the car.

The front spoiler (along with the Mach 1 rear valance with exhaust cut-outs) was very hot over the counter sellers!   :)
When I picked up my Boss from the dealer he did not even know that the front spoiler was in the trunk.....drove the car home and put it on myself!

I have a couple original paint cars. One is a Decor Group and they sprayed the black lower and mask off for the color. The area where the black between the tail light opening and the trim was painted black mask off and then color added. Now the hood is a different story. No hoods had the black first and then color. I have three original hoods and color is under the black on all. In 71 and 72 if you got the side stripes on Mach 1 or any model you got the painted lower. In 73 if you got side stripes on a coupe or vert you got the painted lower. Here is pic of tail light panel with the black to lights. 
On this yellow car some of the factory masking tape was still on the rocker where they taped over the black before spraying color. 
The under hood area was also sprayed black before color was put on. You can find the masking under your dash at windshield. 

DSC_0261.JPG

Back