Clutch Linkage type

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce180vf

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 H code
I am just starting on my 72 Mach 1. I am replacing the automatic with a manual transmission in the future. My question is what type of clutch linkage do people prefer? Z-bar is old technology, Cable actuated or hydraulic throw out bearing. Still trying to decide whether to go with a 4 speed toploader or a TKO500 or TKO600. It will have a 500 hp Cleveland in the future. Mainly street driven with drag racing too.

Similar setup than mine. I went from auto to manual. I chose the TKO600. The 500 is rated to only 500 ft.lbs so you will be close with your engine. I went with a manual cable setup from Modern Driveline. It works well. I also did the clutch pedal bearing conversion from Scott Drake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I converted mine from Auto to 4_speed.  Used all original components for a Z-bar setup.  Put a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in it.  Not on the road yet, so I can't give any satisfaction comments.

kcmash

I bought a hydro throwout from Summit for like 150, just needs a master cylinder and a little bit of fab on the clutch pedal and you're ready to rock. Just needs the input shaft collar shaved down 0.025".

I bought a hydro throwout from Summit for like 150, just needs a master cylinder and a little bit of fab on the clutch pedal and you're ready to rock. Just needs the input shaft collar shaved down 0.025".
I will look into that. I know the hydraulic kits are between $500 and $700 depending on the brand.

I did my T-5 swap about 8 years ago and built my own Z-bar and linkage. Used the modern driveline retrofit clutch pedal. It has been flawless for probably 50K miles. Can't beat the simplicity of mechanical linkages. I went mechanical due to many horror stories about hydraulic and I didn't want a cable winding it's way through the engine compartment.

Similar setup than mine. I went from auto to manual. I chose the TKO600. The 500 is rated to only 500 ft.lbs so you will be close with your engine. I went with a manual cable setup from Modern Driveline. It works well. I also did the clutch pedal bearing conversion from Scott Drake.

Did you have any clearance issues with the MDL clutch cable and the Hooker headers?  Looking into an FMX to T5 conversion with my 351C 4V and Hooker headers.  They are not on MDLs list of compatible exhaust systems. Thanks!

Did you have any clearance issues with the MDL clutch cable and the Hooker headers?  Looking into an FMX to T5 conversion with my 351C 4V and Hooker headers.  They are not on MDLs list of compatible exhaust systems. Thanks!
No clearance issues with the headers. I am surprised they don't list it as compatible since the cable had plenty of clearance. The pipe after the collector is at about 1" so in that area I covered the cable with wire heat insulation to be on the safe side.

No clearance issues with the headers. I am surprised they don't list it as compatible since the cable had plenty of clearance. The pipe after the collector is at about 1" so in that area I covered the cable with wire heat insulation to be on the safe side.
Sounds good. Thanks!

Back