Measurments for Hood Black Out.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I took a few measurements on my original hood black out. Here are the pictures you should be able to read the dimensions. Looks like the front of mine is about 1 3/4" from the front edge of the hood including the trim. I measured from the sided about even with the ram air openings and at the windshield. As you can see not straight by any means but you eye does not really see it unless you are looking for it. I will eventually do some pictures and insert the dimensions of the widths of the outline and the spacing from outline to the main black.

Thanks David, It goes to show they're NOT perfectly centered, It looks like 5" on one side 5 3/4" on the other. So I guess if a person was particular, 5 3/8" each side would be the number by the windshield. I would still be interested in knowing IF there are any differences between 71-72 and 73"s. Probably not but.... if ever you get time to check.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...so that means my newly painted hood is wrong. Oh well it’s only off by a quarter inch and I bet if you measured 10 of them that were done in the factory, maybe half would measure up the same.

Thanks David for taking the time to measure it up! This is a great pattern to copy from.

Yes... this is a very inconclusive topic and one that caused me the most grief in my restoration... here is a pic of my original hood and blackout. I took exact measurements, bought the blackout graphic and still after three painting attempts..., my "professional" paint shop still, could not complete the task right. It ended our professional and personal relationship when I picked the car up upon completion of the body and paint. It is close..., but, for the effort, time and money invested, I wanted it perfect... I'm off by 1/4" in one area, most won't notice, but I will. Before the nay-sayer's here start point out what is the big deal..., it is a big deal to those of us that want it done the way it came from the factory :) Having said this, as other's here have pointed out, the applique was never applied with great accuracy at the factory. I see differences in my blackout out measurements from those in Carolina Mustangs example, so this proves that point... I have included my hood here for comparison...

IMG_1512.JPG

7173vert, thanks for posting that picture of your original 71 hood. It answers a question I asked (David) about whether there were any "design" differences between 71-72's and 73's regarding hood blackout. Obviously not by the look of it. Yours and David's are all but the same.

In your picture, it is unfortunate I/we can't read the dimension close to the windshield end. That would be good info if you can clarify.

Thanks,

Geoff.

7173vert, thanks to you also for posting this pic of your hood. If I was trying to attempt the same thing, that’d piss me off too. Your painter should have been able to get it done the way you wanted.

7173vert, thanks for posting that picture of your original 71 hood. It answers a question I asked (David) about whether there were any "design" differences between 71-72's and 73's regarding hood blackout. Obviously not by the look of it. Yours and David's are all but the same.

In your picture, it is unfortunate I/we can't read the dimension close to the windshield end. That would be good info if you can clarify.

Thanks,

Geoff.
7" from the very tip of the hood (following the curve of the hood) to the inside (solid) blackout. If you increase the size of the pic, it is clear.

Thanks,

Geoff.
7" from the very tip of the hood (following the curve of the hood) to the inside (solid) blackout. If you increase the size of the pic, it is clear.
 Thanks. I printed the picture then used a magnifier and thought I could read 7", but was not sure.

Geoff.

Are there eps files (vector) available for this? Same for other stripes and scripts?
That would be nice if someone did.

If anyone has access to a large format scanner it wouldn't take much to digitize one of David's pencil rubbings and into AutoCAD or MicroStation and into a .dxf file format. I should have done it back when I was working out of an office, but that was 7+ years ago, didn't think about it then, and there wasn't as much going on in the forum about it back then.

I might be able to make something happen on that. What I would think would be best is to have a friend of mine plot me a wide piece of paper and put a 1" grid on it. Then I take that and put on the hood and do the tracing and then back to him to scan and he can create several different types of files. Could then put them on the Forum for anyone to access and use. 

Will see if I can get in touch with CAD guy I worked with.

I could print out a 1" grid pattern on a roll of semi-transparent mylar, ship it to David and have him send them back to me for scanning. As long as the tracing is good, I can scan and import into one the CAD programs I use and create a proper stencil.

David, send me a PM if you want to make this happen. I'll take care of the shipping and labels both ways.

Making a stencil as 'correct as possible' is a wonderful idea. While we all know none of these hood black-outs were perfect, the one on David's car is probably as good as it gets anywhere. So why hasn't this been done before I ask? 

An accurate stencil could also be used to create a wrap to be used instead of paint if a person so wished. Also, I'm thinking that once it is digitized, the file could be emailed to a wrap shop and therefore a wrap could be directly cut.

The subject of hood black-out (or Argent) has been bought up so many times, I've lost count. Many of us (including me) have incorrect lay-outs. I just think it is about time to put this to bed once and for all by coming up with a plan as correct as it will ever get. The only part of concern to me is the overall width, how much body color should be each side at the back and where the curve starts. Between David's and 7173Vert's (Ken) original hoods, an average of the two will give dimensions as close as possible to being visually correct.

So, here's an idea. There obviously will be considerable cost to produce a stencil. Why not offer them for sale through the Forum to members and others with a portion going the Forum towards maintenance cost. Just a thought.

Geoff.

One of the members in the past did take a rub off and had someone cut a wrap for their hood. Do not remember who it was. 

I also have two other original hoods in storage that I can pull and also check position and size. 

I have no issue with doing the rub off for Hemikiller to work with to produce a file. 

I also understand that the current side stripes for the 73 are also incorrect. I did a rub of them in the past also. 

I was amazing in the past when the current suppliers were approached about correcting the stencils they were not interested because people were buying what they had. They do not care if right or wrong just make money. 

I would think an ad on Ebay would generate some income for the forum selling either a stencil or wrap.

A stencil would only need to be the front end and with proper measurements from the edge of the hood in the rear the remainder is one long straight line so no need for stencil just mask it off.

Another challenge would be to come up with a paint formula that looks original.

The only room for error is how the pattern lays on the hood when I do rub or when user applies to the hood. It is not flat so the paper or velum tents over the high places.

When I did the last one I took the paper to the front of the hood and over each side and marked it plainly so it could be aligned on the hood being done. 

I do not remember what the body color strip width was it should be something standard in width. If not years ago when you could not just go by tape about any size we use to go to butcher shop and they can cut masking tape with meat slicer to any width.

Here are some pics of what I did last time just used Craft paper but a velum would be more stable. This was done before I had cleaned the car up. You can see how the paper has to tent over the contours of the hood.

The same thing should be done with an original Sprint hood to get the correct size and location for them. 

Just from a personal point of view, the original black-out is a tad too wide from an aesthetics perspective. With a 6" measurement from the edge of the hood to the 1/4" stripe at the windshield to about 6 3/8" at the curve start point which follows the contour of the raised portion, it allows more bodycolor and provides better proportions.

This is NOT to start a war, but just one person's thought from a design point of view. 

As for the afore mentioned template or pattern, it ought to be as close as factory as possible, it is what it is.

Geoff.

Not meaning to hijack this but I'd like to see a stencil kit for the MUSTANG block letters across the deck lid on the 71 Convertible and or Grande !

I know there are measurements out there but it's in fraction of inches... :whistling:

boy i'm glad I posted this question on another tread. seems like this question was always a question.. I printed out a nice pic of a yellow hood and added the measurements. painter came yesterday to see the project and loved what I provided. hopefully this wk i'll be delivering the hood.. going to do hi gloss silver . not correct but car is not stock and I really don't like flat... so thanks to all for providing the info.

Back