7173 Forum versus 7173 Facebook

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
While I'm not a Media savvy guy, I recently and somewhat reluctantly joined our 7173 Mustang Facebook group. Having been a Forum member since 2016, I'm quite familiar with the more frequent contributors. While there are a total of several thousand members world wide, there are relatively few who choose to participate regularly.

What did surprise me is the number of members on Facebook who are quite active by asking tech questions and anything and everything in general, who I have never seen post on the Forum. I would have thought that the Forum is the place to ask tech questions and Facebook is the place for more informal chat.

Just my thought on it so what do other think?

Geoff

aka Stanglover.

Geoff i think theres a differant age group use each platform. Facebook is more a daily platform that people use for many differant purposes and 7173 is just a small part of peoples facebook usage

I prefer the forum. The credibility of the folks here is more genuine than (in my opinion) those who just jump in and out of Facebook with politically charged comments and the opportunity to cus more than contribute.

I personally have nothing to do with facebook and probably never will. I am only on the forum. And I like it that way........ Now get off my grass!!!!!

We do actively keep both platforms alive and well because of many of the reasons listed above...

Personally, I think the Facebook page is there to compliment the forum site...I've been using Facebook groups since they appeared on the scene a few years ago and while they are quick to post on and get fast replies, the information you get tends to be pretty random and also hard to search and archive info.

Ideally, Facebook groups should help to send folks to the forum for more in depth project info and tutorials...whereas Facebook is more of a chatty, social experience.  Both can exist and should compliment each other.  The other issue I see is that there are dozens of groups that spring up for any topic including 71-73 Mustangs.  Forums may have 1-3 different websites but the info is much more confined and easier to search.  We actually had the 1st forum website dedicated to 7173 Mustangs and we had the 1st Facebook page and group dedicated to 71-73 Mustangs!  Now there are a bunch of 71-73 groups on Facebook and members either need to join all of them or risk missing important informative posts!  On the forums...it is all here in one package!  I have found that people are extremely rude and unhelpful on Facebook too...mainly due to less moderation but it can be a real crap shoot anytime you post something on a Facebook group, LOL.

Again, our Facebook page is a compliment to the forums but it will NEVER replace the forums!  This site will always remain online and hopefully active!   ::thumb::

Thanks for all the input thus far. Seems to sum up what I am experiencing and I agree, the Forum is much more of an informative, polite atmosphere whereas Facebook is a bit rough around the edges so to speak.

It's an interesting experience none the less, but to a point. We'll see how it works out for me in the near future and I'll go from there.

One other thing, on the forum we can chose to be somewhat anonymous if we so choose, but on Facebook, no such thing should one  be registered elsewhere. Your full name pops up regardless.

I have been "chatting" with one fellow who has questions that need answers more in depth than is possible on Facebook, I have encouraged him to post on the Forum, but so far he has not done so. I wonder why.

Geoff.

I am on both often. I prefer the forum. I find the forum and its members to be a better resource and more knowledgable. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose the forum hands down.

I'm an IT guy and have always been active on Social Media but i find the forums contain a better amount of knowledge. Yes, you have to look for it a bit more but FB can be a shit show. You never know who is going to give you bad info, talk crap, or whatever.

Im active on both platforms but now that I think of it, I dont see much on the FB. I am also a part of another 71-73 group called Big Horse that i see and post to quiet often for information. Mostly while im in the garage and need quick answers or specific info. Im newer to the 71-73 models and they are definitely a different beast then the 60s models im use too.

Either way, i use all resources and im very thankful for the forums

I'm an IT guy and have always been active on Social Media but i find the forums contain a better amount of knowledge. Yes, you have to look for it a bit more but FB can be a shit show. You never know who is going to give you bad info, talk crap, or whatever.

Im active on both platforms but now that I think of it, I dont see much on the FB. I am also a part of another 71-73 group called Big Horse that i see and post to quiet often for information. Mostly while im in the garage and need quick answers or specific info. Im newer to the 71-73 models and they are definitely a different beast then the 60s models im use too.

Either way, i use all resources and im very thankful for the forums
Nice to read your comments. They pretty much concur with my onw impression. I too use all resources and at time use other forums, but as a guest. This is the only one I'll be a member of.

Geoff.

Since I have several Mustangs of different years I am on several FB pages and also on some other Forums. I think this forum is a place to search and if you google search comes here often. FB is maybe more of a world wide thing. I do get more people looking for parts on FB than here. I do not have time to pack and ship right now but will after April.

You can track about anybody you want with all the background search sites out there. Have found some interesting people that I did not want to be involved with by looking them up.

I post regularly on several sites will write it up in Word and just copy paste so do not have to retype. I have never been a two finger typing person. I took two years of typing in high school to get out of anything else I could, lol. Turned out to be the best thing I took with computers coming into play.

One thing everyone on Facebook can do is to drop links to the forum occasionally so folks remember to stop in and post here, too!  Maybe share a post from the forum to Facebook once in a while, stuff like that.  It could help generate more traffic to the site and maybe that traffic will stop and post as well!   (I am mainly referring to our Facebook site...other group admins seem to discourage link posting for some reason??  All these sites are out there for one main reason...to help people find information about 71-73 Mustangs!  Not competition!!

One thing everyone on Facebook can do is to drop links to the forum occasionally so folks remember to stop in and post here, too!  Maybe share a post from the forum to Facebook once in a while, stuff like that.  It could help generate more traffic to the site and maybe that traffic will stop and post as well!   (I am mainly referring to our Facebook site...other group admins seem to discourage link posting for some reason??  All these sites are out there for one main reason...to help people find information about 71-73 Mustangs!  Not competition!!
 Totally agree.

As I'm new to the Facebook site, I have already tried to have a few refer to the Forum for the info they want, but they still seem reluctant to do that even though they are members of the Forum. This is why I wanted to know what other members think. Both clearly have their place individually, but also both should be used together.

Thanks to all for the replies and input.

Geoff.

Back