Blue Instrumnet cluster Diffuser

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkka

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
[url=https://ibb.co/cgCFb3N][img]https://i.ibb.co/j6WMVfL/IMG-20190713-145003409.jpg[/img][/url]
I am replacing all of the clear stock 194 bulbs in the instrument cluster  and down the center console (except for the red warning lamps) with United Pacific 38273 'blue' LED's.

My question is whether or not I still need the stock blue diffuser already in the clusters or it is best to remove the blue domes?  I would like to have uniformity in the blue hue throughout.

Thanks,

In my humble opinion, don't waste your time with stock 194 bulbs. Replace them with good LED's or SMD's from www.hipoparts.com and ask Bill what to get.

I did mine twice. The first time I bought bulbs from NPD, but were not bright enough. The second time I bought from Bill and got the Elite series II SMD set** and I'm quite happy with them and yes, I did keep my blue domes as they were still in great condition. Note: If you do decide to go with any LED's type bulbs, you MUST retain a 194 bulb in the ALT socket assuming you have idiot lights that is.

Geoff.

** There are two levels of LED type he offers. Without digging through my pile of bills, I'm 99% sure it was the Elite set. Get the best he offers!!

I am replacing all of the clear stock 194 bulbs in the instrument cluster  and down the center console (except for the red warning lamps) with United Pacific 38273 'blue' LED's.

My question is whether or not I still need the stock blue diffuser already in the clusters or it is best to remove the blue domes?  I would like to have uniformity in the blue hue throughout.

Thanks,
Parkka,

Take the back plate with the blue diffusers, remove all electronics and place in hot water. Wait 5 to 10 minutes and the plastic will be soft enough to remove the blue diffusers without breaking the holding tabs.

I pulled all the diffusers from mine when I replaced the stock bulbs with white LEDs - whatever was holding them on gave up relatively easy, as they all came off each as a one-piece deal.  

BIG difference, and much improved.  The idea from the factory was that the blue diffusers would cast a greenish light thanks to the yellow filaments of the stock incandescent bulbs.  After seeing pictures of the factory dash lights, I'm happy that the undiffused white LEDs cast a similar light, albeit a bit brighter and without the greenish tint.

Without the diffusers, the light will be much more consistent, and should have the blue tint you're looking for.

WOW!  That's pretty cool! ::thumb::

The blue seems like it wouldn't work very well for me because of my color vision issues (I've noticed that my visual acuity isn't as great with certain colors aside from not being able to tell some of them [colors] apart), but that looks pretty snappy, nonetheless!

Thanks for sharing!

Back