New laws in the UK for classic cars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
A car can be classed as a classic car once it is 40 years old in the UK. This has allowed the import tax to be reduced from 20% to 5%. Though you still pay the 20% on parts imported at a later date

Classic cars do not need to pay a annual road tax.

Now the government have passed a new law for classic cars. Classics no longer need a yearly M.O.T or roadworthy test as long as the owner fills out a V112 form and hands it in at the post office when the road tax is due.

Although the classic car is exempt from a annual road tax we still recieve a reminder each year that the road tax is due. We still have to fill the form in and go to the post office and tax the vehicle even though we pay nothing for the road tax. The bizarre rules and regulations of road tax still have me scratching my head and wondering why.

I am on the fence with the new M.O.T exemption laws. If i take a car for a M.O.T the tester at the test station will give me a pass or a fail. Even if the vehicle passes the tester can add comments(advisories) on the form if he deems parts may fail in the next 12 months. So if i regularly maintain the car and ensure it is roadworthy there will be a annual M.O.T certificate that has no advisories. Having this official record for the car will give me peace of mind and any future owner peace of mind if i decide to sell the car in the future. More importantly having a official record with a M.O.T can only add value to the car in the future.

What option will other UK members be taking when it comes to applying for M.O.T exemption???

Steve, while most over this side of the pond won't understand what an M.O.T. is, I do. I sometimes wish it was mandatory here too as there are junkers all over the place that should not be on the road. In Ontario, we only "safety check" vehicles when they change ownership. Other than that, it's up to the owner to keep it road worthy. We do pay a road tax in the form of a yearly "donation" to the government. We also have to pay 13% tax on the sales value each time a vehicle changes hands. Classic vehicles are supposed to be appraised for value and taxed accordingly. I guess that's because everybody claimed their classic was only worth 500 bucks!!

As for classic cars, that starts at 25 years, but we get no breaks tax wise although there are Historic Car licence plates that have a reduced yearly tax cost. These come with restrictions though and the car can only (legally) be driven to and from car shows, mechanics or in parades. If in an accident with these plates and your not conforming to the law, the insurance will likely be void. I pay the full tax so I can drive whenever I want to within the limits of my Haggarty insurance.

The US members likely have a whole different set of rules to follow depending on what State they live in.

Geoff.

Steve, while most over this side of the pond won't understand what an M.O.T. is, I do. I sometimes wish it was mandatory here too as there are junkers all over the place that should not be on the road. In Ontario, we only "safety check" vehicles when they change ownership. Other than that, it's up to the owner to keep it road worthy. We do pay a road tax in the form of a yearly "donation" to the government. We also have to pay 13% tax on the sales value each time a vehicle changes hands. Classic vehicles are supposed to be appraised for value and taxed accordingly. I guess that's because everybody claimed their classic was only worth 500 bucks!!

As for classic cars, that starts at 25 years, but we get no breaks tax wise although there are Historic Car licence plates that have a reduced yearly tax cost. These come with restrictions though and the car can only (legally) be driven to and from car shows, mechanics or in parades. If in an accident with these plates and your not conforming to the law, the insurance will likely be void. I pay the full tax so I can drive whenever I want to within the limits of my Haggarty insurance.

The US members likely have a whole different set of rules to follow depending on what State they live in.

Geoff.
Geoff, All our traffic police cars are fitted with ANPR cameras now. The cameras check to see if a car has a valid insurance, tax and M.O.T. If all three are not up to date the police will pull you over and have your vehicle towed away. You then have to produce the correct documentation and pay storage charge. If you do not the car is then crushed after 30 days.

Here in North Carolina we do not have to pass any inspections at all if 35 years or older.

Now when I was in Africa on one of my trips I went with the ranch owner to run the car I drove while touring to check if road worthy. I was very impressed with the inspection process. You pulled in a long bay and the first thing they did was an actual dynamic test of the brakes to test if they were working properly. Then they checked all the lights, wipers and such. The last station was like what we would call a 4 post suspension dynamic test. It worked the suspension on all four corners and inspector was in pit under the car. He visually looked at the suspension and found that two of the rubber components in the front were worn and the car failed. Had to be fixed in order to get the required window sticker and keep the plates on the car. This was only done on vehicles used in a business like the ranch, travel, taxi, support vehicles for any business. Much more in depth inspection that the U.S. or where I live has.

I am for sure not against a good test. I do not want a brake to fail or a suspension component to fail. Better to find in a test than hitting someone in the rear.

F'n camera's are everywhere!! Some of the OPP cars have LPR's here too. Police can enter a number into an onboard computer and get the full info on that vehicle and likewise, can impound the vehicle at the owners expense. My son does it all the time!!

Here in North Carolina we do not have to pass any inspections at all if 35 years or older.

Now when I was in Africa on one of my trips I went with the ranch owner to run the car I drove while touring to check if road worthy. I was very impressed with the inspection process. You pulled in a long bay and the first thing they did was an actual dynamic test of the brakes to test if they were working properly. Then they checked all the lights, wipers and such. The last station was like what we would call a 4 post suspension dynamic test. It worked the suspension on all four corners and inspector was in pit under the car. He visually looked at the suspension and found that two of the rubber components in the front were worn and the car failed. Had to be fixed in order to get the required window sticker and keep the plates on the car. This was only done on vehicles used in a business like the ranch, travel, taxi, support vehicles for any business. Much more in depth inspection that the U.S. or where I live has.

I am for sure not against a good test. I do not want a brake to fail or a suspension component to fail. Better to find in a test than hitting someone in the rear.
David i am with you on that one. The yearly test in Africa sounds like the test we have here in the U.K. I would rather know if there is a defect before it causes a crash or creates more more stress on other parts which create more problems. If one side of the brakes is not working within a percentage of the other its a fail. For me the test is peace of mind which is priceless.

F'n camera's are everywhere!! Some of the OPP cars have LPR's here too. Police can enter a number into an onboard computer and get the full info on that vehicle and likewise, can impound the vehicle at the owners expense. My son does it all the time!!
The police here dont have to punch any numbers in. Their computer attached to camera bleeps and goes red if there are any infringements. The database also has the names of known criminals and what cars they drive making it easier to follow criminals in police cars that are not marked up as police cars

The police here dont have to punch any numbers in. Their computer attached to camera bleeps and goes red if there are any infringements. The database also has the names of known criminals and what cars they drive making it easier to follow criminals in police cars that are not marked up as police cars
 Pretty much likewise here, but not all car have that tech.

We can't get away with anything any more!!!! Big Brother's watching.

As a side to this, that's not always a bad thing. A few years ago, about 2010 if I remember, I was on the M25 when the car blew a head gasket in stop-and-go traffic. I managed to get the car to the shoulder close to an overpass and an emergency phone. Next thing, the phone rang. Kind of startled, I answered it. The lady said she can see me on camera from that bridge. She told me to stand well away from the car and as it was about to rain, she had someone from traffic control stop by with a poncho. Then she put me through to my brother to verify the towing insurance and arranged for the RAC to pick the car up and transport the car and me back 120+ miles to my brothers house. That's saved my ass and I was very thankful for "Big Brother" that day.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a side to this, that's not always a bad thing. A few years ago, about 2010 if I remember, I was on the M25 when the car blew a head gasket in stop-and-go traffic. I managed to get the car to the shoulder close to an overpass and an emergency phone. Next thing, the phone rang. Kind of startled, I answered it. The lady said she can see me on camera from that bridge. She told me to stand well away from the car and as it was about to rain, she had someone from traffic control stop by with a poncho. Then she put me through to my brother to verify the towing insurance and arranged for the RAC to pick the car up and transport the car and me back 120+ miles to my brothers house. That's saved my ass and I was very thankful for "Big Brother" that day.
I think if you have nothing to hide cameras great. saving your ass being a one benefit. They not only prove your guilt they can also prove your innocense

I think if you have nothing to hide cameras great. saving your ass being a one benefit. They not only prove your guilt they can also prove your innocence
 True.

Years ago, the Ontario provincial government implemented Radar Speed cameras on our 400 series roads (Motorways) It was nothing but a cash-cow and was withdrawn by the next government, not to return since.

Geoff.
I have always seen it referred to as MOT (Ministry of Transportation) certificate here in Ontario when I have taken my car's in to be certified. Yes, "safety" is also a street name used for the certification...

Geoff.
I have always seen it referred to as MOT (Ministry of Transportation) certificate here in Ontario when I have taken my car's in to be certified. Yes, "safety" is also a street name used for the certification...
 True, but Safety Check is the more common name in Ontario. I meant that perhaps the US members did not relate to that term as we do.

You lost me at head gasket.  

Mighty car mods have spoiled me.  I can’t read head gasket without saying it like them.  :)

Glad everything worked out for you.

You lost me at head gasket.  

Mighty car mods have spoiled me.  I can’t read head gasket without saying it like them.  :)

Glad everything worked out for you.
Not sure what you mean, but in the UK, Motorways, Freeways to you, have (or had back then) an emergency phone on a post every mile or so. Not everybody has cell phones!! I did not have a cell phone and still don't.

Connecticut used to have a pretty thorough safety inspection regiment before issuing permanent registration plates, but no annual requirements. It had morphed into VIN verification, lights and safety equipment check, visual undercar inspection on a lift and a dynamic brake test. The brake test did find a leaking axle seal for me on my old 71 sportsroof. All that went by the wayside ten or so years ago for some reason, not sure if it was cost cutting or too many people were failing and it was deemed discriminatory to lower incomes. Either way, it definitely resulted in a bunch of junkers driving around. The inspection now is only a VIN verification and lights check for out of state vehicles.

I wish they would have an annual inspection, since the crap they spray on the roads now eats cars alive. Having someone look underneath your car might just save your life if you're one of those that limits their maintenance to adding oil and gas as needed.

Either way, it definitely resulted in a bunch of junkers driving around.
I've seen the before and after implementation, it changed the car park significantly. I can't even remember the last time I saw a car looking really bad (rust wise), smoking crazy, dribbling front wheels for bad shocks or even cars visibly going left or right when its time to stop.

This control is the only extra I need to pay for having a car that I support.

Go to same inspection address for my cars for years now. I get an honest and fair inspection vs the many other places I tried before trying to force services on you, always finding only the stuffs they could replace in house. I hate it when they find something as it means come back again next week, but so far they've always been honest.

Either way, it definitely resulted in a bunch of junkers driving around.
I've seen the before and after implementation, it changed the car park significantly. I can't even remember the last time I saw a car looking really bad (rust wise), smoking crazy, dribbling front wheels for bad shocks or even cars visibly going left or right when its time to stop.

This control is the only extra I need to pay for having a car that I support.

Go to same inspection address for my cars for years now. I get an honest and fair inspection vs the many other places I tried before trying to force services on you, always finding only the stuffs they could replace in house. I hate it when they find something as it means come back again next week, but so far they've always been honest.

Back