Replacement Instrument Panel Lense

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I recently purchased a replacement Instrument lense(from Don). The repop ones come without the hole for the trip counter. Has anyone tried to drill a hole and use a heated rod to remould the piece above the hole and make the repop the same as original in its shape and design

I recently purchased a replacement Instrument lense(from Don). The repop ones come without the hole for the trip counter. Has anyone tried to drill a hole and use a heated rod to remould the piece above the hole and make the repop the same as original in its shape and design
I took a different approach than Don did.... 

I had a cracked fuel gauge lens. The trip odometer button is set in the molded clear lens plastic and I was afraid to try and pry it out. The new lens are completely flat so drilling a hole would not look the same.  So I spliced the good speedometer/trip odometer lens portion together with the other two lens from a new standard lens. I seemed them together where the lens hides behind the bezel with clear epoxy. Worked great.

Pictures contained in the following thread...

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-instrument-lens-with-the-trip-odometer?highlight=gauge+lens

Pegleg Wrote:The 73 is differant to the 71 trip oddometer. Mine is does not have that big black piece

Pegleg, the same lens was used on all 71-73's that were equipped with the speedometer with the trip odometer. This particular lens has not been available from Ford for a long time, so a part of the reset knob may be missing from a previous repair attempt. Finding a used lens, even if just a broken one that could be  salvaged for the reset knob, can be a difficult find.

The links provided by DonC and Rich will be a great help as you still should be able to use what you have to transfer to the new lens.

Can't provide you with a timetable or my source but I have been told there is a lens with the trip odometer reset knob in the "Works".

Pegleg Wrote:The 73 is differant to the 71 trip oddometer. Mine is does not have that big black piece

Pegleg, the same lens was used on all 71-73's that were equipped with the speedometer with the trip odometer. This particular lens has not been available from Ford for a long time, so a part of the reset knob may be missing from a previous repair attempt. Finding a used lens, even if just a broken one that could be  salvaged for the reset knob, can be a difficult find.

The links provided by DonC and Rich will be a great help as you still should be able to use what you have to transfer to the new lens.

Can't provide you with a timetable or my source but I have been told there is a lens with the trip odometer reset knob in the "Works".
Its been a long time since i removed the lense. I just checked again and realised there is no trip oddometer. My hole is for the clock!!! With age comes forgetfulness :shootself:

Back