Fan belts not lining up

slowpoke17

20190309_132408.thumb.jpg.5b47856c9b133c232b7606b73f164204.jpg20190309_132408.thumb.jpg.5b47856c9b133c232b7606b73f164204.jpgI purchased the 3 belts for the engine and went to install them just to make sure they fit properly. Found the diagram and then discovered the pulleys don't line up. The rebuilt 302 has a ProStreet harmonic balancer on it, I can't compare the depth to the original as I never had one. If you look at the pictures you can see the gap if I install the belts and let them hang straight down. Is there a spacer that should go between the crank pulley and damper? AC, PS and alternator all located where they belong and line up except on lower pulley. Bottom photo shows the gap between the damper and pulley.

Both pictures you posted are the same.

Are you talking about front to rear alignment of the pulleys or not being able to tighten the belts? If you're talking about alignment we really need to see pictures taken from the side in line with the pulleys.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Both pictures you posted are the same.

Are you talking about front to rear alignment of the pulleys or not being able to tighten the belts? If you're talking about alignment we really need to see pictures taken from the side in line with the pulleys.

……….. And the correct orientation!

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Also, most Ford engines I've dealt with that have AC have a double groove pulley on the water pump, yours looks like a single groove. How many grooves on the crank pulley?

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Did you read the directions for the damper?

I did but by the time I got around to reading and installing the damper in the new engine, the old one was long gone. Since it came with the new damper I never thought of removing the old one (and spacer) before turning in the core. I did check out some vendors to see if this was a common item and I found several different width crankshaft pulley spacers available. They have all different offsets to I just need to figure that out. This was in the one for 1" offset. 

"Replace the old or damaged crank pulley spacer on your 289, 302 or 351W engine with this high-quality 1" 4-Bolt Crank Pulley Spacer 1433 from March Performance!"

Did you read the directions for the damper?

I did but by the time I got around to reading and installing the damper in the new engine, the old one was long gone. Since it came with the new damper I never thought of removing the old one (and spacer) before turning in the core. I did check out some vendors to see if this was a common item and I found several different width crankshaft pulley spacers available. They have all different offsets to I just need to figure that out. This was in the one for 1" offset. 

"Replace the old or damaged crank pulley spacer on your 289, 302 or 351W engine with this high-quality 1" 4-Bolt Crank Pulley Spacer 1433 from March Performance!"

The way the directions are written, it seems that the damper should come with the necessary spacers to position the crank pulley correctly in relation to the rest of the accessories. I would assume they were supposed to be in the box. If not, I'd place a call to the manufacturer to get those parts sent t you.