Drove it for first time in 3 years!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I got new front tires on it but the rears are scrubbing bad.  I'm getting 255's for the rear this week.  I only took it down the street and back.  I washed it off and took these new pics.

20190310_141416.jpg

20190310_141407.jpg

20190310_141425.jpg

Did you try removing some of the rubber through the exuberant use of the accelerator pedal? Maybe they won't rub as bad :whistling:

Must have felt good, even for a short run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would absolutely drive that thing just the way it is. If you decide to sell it down the road atleast you got to put some miles on it. Hell in one weekend you could mask it off and shoot it with epoxy primer in flat black. But I think it looks cool just the way it is.

Wade, so glad you got it on the road and driving it. You know, if it wasn't for the grey primer on the fender, I might be very tempted to go for the "Rat Rod' look for now. Lightly scuff off any lose surface rust and shoot it with clear coat and enjoy it. Then when the time is right, repaint it as you want, but original color is usually best imo.

All the best,

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great.

I remember reading an online article about cleaning surface rust off of panels, the results were pretty amazing. I can't recall the product but it took the majority of the surface rust away leaving the original paint and primer which they just cleared over to stop the rust coming back.

I would bet if you carefully sanded that primer off of the passenger side front fender you'd find more saveable paint under there.

Just a thought, car looks awesome!

I got new front tires on it but the rears are scrubbing bad.  I'm getting 255's for the rear this week.  I only took it down the street and back.  I washed it off and took these new pics.
That's a great feeling, congratulations! Last Summer  I fired mine up after about the same time frame. It's quite an exhilarating feeling to hear the old engine come to life!

Back