Which Top To Buy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ2ME Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351 2V, Blue Glow, CA emissions test, select-o-shift AT, instrumentation group, 5 F70x14 wide oval BSW white letters tires, convenience group, ps, tilt, leather wrapped steering wheel, console, deluxe bumper group, select aire AC, AM/FM, decor group, color keyed racing mirrors, tinted windows, pw, forged alum wheels. Bone stock survivor, 27,000 AZ car bought from original owner, that was delivered to a LA dealership in CA.
[url=https://ibb.co/jzkHnJ7][img]https://i.ibb.co/W0vsmVS/IMG-20180422-145544245-HDR.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello All.  I'm new to the site and have found tons of information already.  I'm in desperate need of a new top and have two questions.  Of all the top suppliers who has the best product and reputation?  Is there info on what top colors where available with what body color.  My original top is white and I really want to change it to black if it was available that way from the factory.  Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Black and white are the only colors available from the factory. The vinyl boot cover matched the interior carpet color, ie blue carpet then blue cover.

There are a number of good top manufacturers. Keep is a decentry one. I can't recall the other names. If you are building a concourse convertible. Then there are two things needed to avoid point deductions. The pads should be the thicker high quality pads (more expensive) and the rear bow trim staple strip and tips should be the concurse version. Some repro strips are wire-on and not concourse.

Black and white are the only colors available from the factory. The vinyl boot cover matched the interior carpet color, ie blue carpet then blue cover.  

There are a number of good top manufacturers. Keep is a decentry one. I can't recall the other names. If you are building a concourse convertible. Then there are two things needed to avoid point deductions. The pads should be the thicker high quality pads (more expensive) and the rear bow trim staple strip and tips should be the concurse version. Some repro strips are wire-on and not concourse.
Thanks rackerm.  I couldn't find any info on what tops were available, all other sorts of specs, but not that.  So my Stang COULD have been ordered with a black top?

I have the original blue vinyl boot that matches the blue carpet and blue interior and factory blue floor mats.  There is A LOT of blue which is why I thought black might break it up a little.

Not worried about concourse quality, just a good ole survivor to take to cruise nights and parades.

Keep in mind that most if not all installers use their own products and won't install a top brought in. Unless you wanna do it yourself there's KEE, HAARTZ and EASY ON, the latter which is the best in my opinion!

Keep in mind that most if not all installers use their own products and won't install a top brought in. Unless you wanna do it yourself there's KEE, HAARTZ and EASY ON, the latter which is the best in my opinion!

True Not a t5!  

I'm working with a local shop and I asked them if I could run my preferences by them.  I thought about doing it my self, but I want it done this year and with no leaks!

"The vinyl boot cover matched the interior carpet color, ie blue carpet then blue cover."

I'm not so sure this is an accurate statement... 

robbins  top also available  i got a cloth top and love the look it ran 200$ more then the vinyl but takes a little more work to keep clean
I thought about cloth, but I wanted to keep it's appearance as stock as possible, besides entirely changing the color it came with from the factory!

"The vinyl boot cover matched the interior carpet color, ie blue carpet then blue cover."

Could it be that the boot matched the seat and dash color?

Could it be that the boot matched the seat and dash color?
My white deluxe interior vert with black carpet had a black boot. GInger interior cars with a white roof and ginger carpet had ginger boot covers. The dash also was the same color as the carpet, so either or is true. Show me a marti report or build sheet to the contrary and I'll  be happy to admit that i am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Not a t5!  

I'm working with a local shop and I asked them if I could run my preferences by them.  I thought about doing it my self, but I want it done this year and with no leaks!
Not a T5 has a valid point.

While the shop may install it, if there is an issue now or later...

There is a good chance the installer will blame the manufacturer, the manufacturer will blame the installer.

In either case... it becomes your problem.

If the installer supplies and installs the top, they have to make it right.

Just something to consider.

I had to laugh at the statement that it might leak if not installed correct. They leaked when brand new, lol. I have owned 8 convertibles over the years. I had a VW Beetle vert and the owner's manual tells you it will leak, lol. They all leaked.

The seals down the side have to have splits so the top can fold, they will leak. The windows never fit tight enough, they will leak. The new verts have the automatic window roll down so the window jumps out of the rubber and allows the door to open. Our Mustangs does not have a seal on the outside of the window so it leaks.

All of the water that goes down the back of the top to where the chrome is above the trunk and quarters runs into the quarter panels. Any tiny hole lets the water get into the floor. This is another reason to never wash a Mustang with running water or a pressure washer or car wash.

Yes they put sealer in there but it cracks and rust starts and boom a big mess.

I would use the Kee tops and make sure the installer used stainless steel staples. If he says he does not he does not know how to install one correct.

The tack strips in rear and in the bows usually need attention or the top will have issues for sure.

Getting the frame centered and correct where it bolts to the inside quarter is a chore. If you do not the top will rub the side chrome and tear it over time. Also adjusting the tilt and position of all the windows is very important.

But never expect a vert not to leak.

When Ford came back with the convertible Mustang some of their engineers were driving them around the U.S. and visiting suppliers. They came to our plant and since I was a Mustang nut I went to look at one of the prototypes they drove to S.C.. I get in the car and was looking at the seal over the window and there was stick on closed cell foam strip added to the seal like you put on a house door. I said something to the Ford engineer about it leaking and he said they always do, lol.

The boot color statement makes since but I have never heard what the well liner colors were. I had one with white and others were all black regardless of interior color.

I had to laugh at the statement that it might leak if not installed correct. They leaked when brand new, lol. I have owned 8 convertibles over the years. I had a VW Beetle vert and the owner's manual tells you it will leak, lol. They all leaked.

The seals down the side have to have splits so the top can fold, they will leak. The windows never fit tight enough, they will leak. The new verts have the automatic window roll down so the window jumps out of the rubber and allows the door to open. Our Mustangs does not have a seal on the outside of the window so it leaks.

All of the water that goes down the back of the top to where the chrome is above the trunk and quarters runs into the quarter panels. Any tiny hole lets the water get into the floor. This is another reason to never wash a Mustang with running water or a pressure washer or car wash.

Yes they put sealer in there but it cracks and rust starts and boom a big mess.

I would use the Kee tops and make sure the installer used stainless steel staples. If he says he does not he does not know how to install one correct.

The tack strips in rear and in the bows usually need attention or the top will have issues for sure.

Getting the frame centered and correct where it bolts to the inside quarter is a chore. If you do not the top will rub the side chrome and tear it over time. Also adjusting the tilt and position of all the windows is very important.

But never expect a vert not to leak.

When Ford came back with the convertible Mustang some of their engineers were driving them around the U.S. and visiting suppliers. They came to our plant and since I was a Mustang nut I went to look at one of the prototypes they drove to S.C.. I get in the car and was looking at the seal over the window and there was stick on closed cell foam strip added to the seal like you put on a house door. I said something to the Ford engineer about it leaking and he said they always do, lol.

The boot color statement makes since but I have never heard what the well liner colors were. I had one with white and others were all black regardless of interior color.

True Not a t5!  

There is a good chance the installer will blame the manufacturer, the manufacturer will blame the installer.

If an installer is not going to warranty their labor while agreeing ro use your supplied top, then go somewhere else. The stock type roofs all install the same way. My installer had no problem with it.

True Not a t5!  

If an installer is not going to warranty their labor while agreeing ro use your supplied top, then go somewhere else. The stock type roofs all install the same way. My installer had no problem with it.
Good advice

True Not a t5!  

That's not what I said... First most installers are good people. But I have seen and had to deal with issues from top installers.

I know darn well they messed up the top - but told the customer the top was a piece of crap... it wasn't their fault take it back. Happened more than once.

And if there is a wrinkle or something doesn't line up quite right. They can blame your top.

I stopped selling tops years ago because of this.

Back