Engine color 73 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Duplicolor 1606 Ford Dark Corporate Blue. Buy an extra can with the SAME lot number. Even Dulicolor varies slightly lot to lot. I found that out the hard way when I bought from two different stores and different lots.

Geoff.

For what it's worth, here is an article on Ford engine paint for all year Mustangs....http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/mump-0308-select-correct-vintage-mustang-engine-paint/

Duplicolor 1606 is what's going to be used.
But, like I said, buy an extra can or two for the same batch/lot number of 1606.

When my engine needed to be re-rebuilt, the shop painted the block for me with 1606 I provided. In the mean time, I painted the accessories with 1606 from a different supplier and lot. So when I put it all together, there was a difference in color. That actually surprised me, I've use Dulicolor for years at work. I was able to find one can that matched what I bought originally. This paint was a bit darker than the Plasti-Coat that was used before, which imo was too light.

NPD sell a supposedly "correct " Ford dark corporate blue, but who knows for sure.

Geoff.

I'm probably going to be in the same boat. I still need to do my water pump and stuff. My builder is just doing the engine and intake. I kind of dropped the ball there. I'll see how close I can get it...
One would expect an exact match from the same manufacturer no matter what the batch. How hard can that be?

When I was working on the shop I wanted to paint brake lathe, hydraulic press and rotisserie Ford Corporate Blue. I went to Lowe's and they sell a paint like Rustoleum but they can custom mix the paint. They laser scanned a vale cover and mixed the paint for me. Matched great. We use to have to paint the Ford tooling Corporate blue also.

The picture of the engine is the one out of my 73 The engine is original Ford paint I had to repaint the oil pan due to lots of surface rust. That is Duplicolor and looks pretty close.

Back