1971 Boss 351 rough project in Fl Craigslist

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me like the remnants he is selling is the carrot. According to the rest of the description he is happy to sell the buyer all the rare bits for $$$ plus a donor. Anyone want to message this guy and see what he has and what price to actually get this wreck road ready

Wow.  I wish mine had would've been that nice, and at the same time I'm glad mine was not a Boss 351.  Economically, a car in that condition lends itself very well to a restomod resurrection... but not so much for a faithful restoration.  Sure, it's restorable, but it all depends on how much the buyer would want to spend and how bad they would want to.

The purists would wind up hating me, as I might do pretty much what I did with my H-Code.  But I'd only do that if I weren't able to get a few more bucks for making it more presentable for reselling pretty much as is, albeit cleaned up and closer to 'ready' to begin that restoration.  I'm sure just having it cleaned up and organized would be worth an extra couple thousand bucks, considering who the target audience of buyers would be. ;)

Eric, a double edged sword at best. Missing all the major components that actually made this car a Boss would be a major and expensive undertaking. Like 7173Vert  had posted about his 429 J code vert, you will easily have 100k in the car but even at the best of car auctions you will be lucky to recoup half that amount. Unfortunately our cars just don't have the money drawing mystique, that surrounds the Boss 302/429, Shelby's and the CJ/SCJ powered hot rods of the 65-70 era. Even if you could find enough to build this car back to OE, you would still have to top the engine off with a $8,500.00 (Perkins) carburetor. Would be tough for me to spend that kind of money on a 4300D carburetor that everyone loves to hate!  

Then on the other hand if you restomod it you would receive the expected hate mail!

Eric, why don't you dig up a couple of those coffee cans full of money your hiding in your backyard and take a chance on this one.   :whistling:

I have a feeling this my be another instance where a car is sold for a desirable VIN, and the VIN will show up "Somewhere" else on down the road.

Seems to me like the remnants he is selling is the carrot. According to the rest of the description he is happy to sell the buyer all the rare bits for $$$ plus a donor. Anyone want to message this guy and see what he has and what price to actually get this wreck road ready
Yeah I think you're right, and if so that's not too cool.  If those rare bits belong to this car, he should just list it together for a set price.  Of course depending on how things go he may want to part it out regardless.  Pretty soon we'll be seeing a pile of rust in someone's back yard with a VIN tag laying on top of it, and it will be listed as "restorable". :)

Eric, a double edged sword at best. Missing all the major components that actually made this car a Boss would be a major and expensive undertaking. Like 7173Vert  had posted about his 429 J code vert, you will easily have 100k in the car but even at the best of car auctions you will be lucky to recoup half that amount. Unfortunately our cars just don't have the money drawing mystique, that surrounds the Boss 302/429, Shelby's and the CJ/SCJ powered hot rods of the 65-70 era. Even if you could find enough to build this car back to OE, you would still have to top the engine off with a $8,500.00 (Perkins) carburetor. Would be tough for me to spend that kind of money on a 4300D carburetor that everyone loves to hate!  

Then on the other hand if you restomod it you would receive the expected hate mail!

Eric, why don't you dig up a couple of those coffee cans full of money your hiding in your backyard and take a chance on this one.   :whistling:

I have a feeling this my be another instance where a car is sold for a desirable VIN, and the VIN will show up "Somewhere" else on down the road.
Hmmm. I think the remaining of the original 42 J Code verts that are correct in all the important ways, will easily bring $50K + at a good auction...

I totally agree with your sentiment, which is why I am not even remotely interested in diving into a Boss [or any other rare or collectible model] project.  I don't have any magical coffee cans of money hiding anywhere, but I can guarantee that Bob Perkins wouldn't see a dime of it were I in the market - he's not the only NOS/OEM guy out there, after all.  I know he's just a guy who has capitalized on a niche and established himself as the 'go-to guy' for expertise and hard-to-find, rare replacement parts for rare and collectible Mustangs... but I also believe there's a big difference between "gouging" and "amputation."  I get it that everybody needs to make money and deserves to be compensated for their time, effort, and resourcefullness, but I also feel like there's a break-over point between "fair" and "excessive."  That's one of the biggest reasons you'll never catch me swimming in those ponds.

I also admit that I don't have the discipline, dedication, determination, resources, patience, or any of the other positive qualities required to perform an absolute faithful restoration (as some of the others here have done so very well).  Again, I think I'd do pretty much what I did for my H-Code.  What that means is that I would restore the car to the point that simple Day Two mods could be employed, which would be completely reversible should a potential buyer wish to further complete the restoration.  Someone else should be able to track down the required rare, collectible parts to complete an 'almost' faithful restoration of mine as it sits (aside from the use of repop sheet metal, the location of the seat platforms, the welded-in subframe connectors, and rear shock cross member, that is) - everything else on my car is completely reversible, after all.  Cosmetically, my car is a set of rims, removing the louvers, and reinstalling the urethane bumper away from looking as it did from the factory.  Beyond that, if someone wanted to push that even further, they can source the Autolite 2100, FMX & shifter, points ignition system, factory Heater, front seats, woodgrain vinyl, and Philco radio - I still have the stock wheels (albeit with sport covers), 2V intake, exhaust manifolds, window cranks, instrument panel clock, and rear defroster switch, harness, and glass.

Just about as close to the 'best of both worlds' as I think anybody could get.  Let the hate mail flow.   lollerz

Back