bolt pattern

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ford Mustangs with 5 lugs have always had 4.5" bolt patterns, including 1970 and 1972.
my car has drum brake and i measure the front and back and they are 4.25 the magmum 500 wheel are 4.5 and they will not fit

Sounds like you don't have a Magnum 500, or someone modified the spindle system on your car.  Buick had a wheel that looked similar to the Magnum, and GM has a different spacing.

I used 14 inch magnums from a 70 Torino on my drums, and now have original 15" Mustang Magnums.  Everything bolts up.  Even Chrysler wheels match the Ford bolt pattern, just not GM.

kcmash

All Ford cars of the era used a 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern (as did sister companies Mercury and Lincoln). There were two exceptions - 4 lug wheels on 65-70 Mustang, which were still 4 1/2" bolt spacing, and Pinto, which used a 4 on 4 1/4" pattern.

My guess is you have some GM Magnums, which are 4 3/4" pattern,

The 5 lug pattern on a Mustang goes way back to 1949 and maybe before that. I have had 6, 1949 & 1950 Fords and those wheels will bolt onto a Mustang.

There are Fox Body Mustangs with 5 lug all SVO models were 1984 - 1986. They used the disc off the Lincoln and the axles out of a Ford Ranger to make them 5 lug. Control arms were also Lincoln forged not stamped. The SVO wheels are 16" and will fit the rear of our cars but will not clear the larger disc brakes.

I have an 85 SVO also. My camper has same bolt pattern as Ford, my Dolly and my utility trailer.

Chevy is the odd ball for sure. Dodge and Plymouth wheels are the same as Ford. Chrysler had this thing about putting left hand threads on one side of the car for lug nuts they though they would come loose if you didn't.

Pic is in Daniel Carpenters collection of Fox Bodies. Note the SVO has 5 lugs.

jpg image hosting

Chrysler had this thing about putting left hand threads on one side of the car for lug nuts they though they would come loose if you didn't.
Ford did the left hand nut thing on some of their trucks as well. Did a complete brake job on a friends early 80's E350 box van, took me a bit to figure out why the damn lugs wouldn't come loose.

Back