The beginning / Front bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,

Got some pictures of my 73.

This doesn't seems to be correct, it looks like it's strange , no ?

Right, or is it a correct assembly ?

mettre des photos en ligne
Mon Dieu !  I had the same set - up on the '73 I bought.  They have fitted the spoiler underneath the bumper - should be on the metal stone guard.  Search this site for front spoiler fitting instructions, it's brilliant.  I took mine all apart to tidy up the whole front section and re -fitted according to the measurements given on this forum.  Worked out perfect.  The fact that you seem to have all good condition parts is a bonus.  It will be fine when fixed correctly.

PKJ

Yes the spoiler looks incorrect for placement.

Also I have included a picture of my original never painted Mach 1 in the area of the side marker light.

On every original 73 that I have seen there was black paint applied to the fender before the stripe was applied and the frame for the light was also flat black.

My paint has peeled but you can still see some it. The showroom brochure shows them both ways. My car was made in April or May I forget.

I also understand that the side stripes are not cut correctly. I did a rub off for a member and some measurements and he said they were different. Note how your stripe goes into the recess for the bumper and my original does not. The stripe mfg. would not change said people were buying what the made and would not do them correctly. :mad:

The spoiler on my car actually split while just sitting in the barn. I have a NOS one to replace when it goes to the museum next month. Since none of these were put on at the factory they do vary a lot.

image uploader

Thanks !

So , One more task... 

Another small one , will be the antenna.. Looks funny this way..

There are also numerous scratch of paint.

That's definitely way off!

I have a 72 and I must admit that I haven't looked at a 73 valance up close yet, so this might not apply for you but ..... well.

Mine isn't completely correct either as I didn't know how to install it when I put it on the car but it might help. Credits go to our user Scott (QcodeMach351) who at the time provided this info.

There are two "creases" on the valance that you need to align it with. You want to install it so that it touches these two points (not sit on top!), so you see that mine would need to be about 25 millimeters further back. 

I hope the 73 valance looks the same underneath. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

It still looks ok though.

IMG_3377.JPG

David, I have seen installation instructions in some of the 69 and 70 spoiler cartons, but  most of the time not. Ford did include the hardware for the 69 model. Between the numerous  spoilers I sold and the many I bought for my own use, there were never any instruction sheets or hardware included with the 71 style front spoiler.

In the mid to late 70's they were in the $20-24 range and by the time they were discontinued in the late 80's they had increased to $63.50!

Yep...while the song  "I wished I Knew Then What I Know Now" is playing in the background, I'll add that I also wished I had bought a few of them and stuck back in my parts stash!     :D

Thanks !

So , One more task... 

I don't see anything dramatically wrong here other than the bend at the top ?   Easy fix - pull that last section out a bit further, grab it with pliers or vice grips just below the bend and move the bent piece straight with another set of pliers.  It's in the right place so that's a good start. 

Paint scratches ? Different story. 

PKJ

I think the antenna is a 71 I believe 72 & 73 were the one piece design.
1971-72 had the telescoping antenna...there may have been a switch over some time in 72 to the one piece but not exactly sure. The 73 had the fixed antenna. They are reproduced. Pic below.

Thanks !

So , One more task... 

I don't see anything dramatically wrong here other than the bend at the top ?   Easy fix - pull that last section out a bit further, grab it with pliers or vice grips just below the bend and move the bent piece straight with another set of pliers.  It's in the right place so that's a good start. 

Paint scratches ? Different story. 

PKJ
there are numerous scatchs on the paint. Some are covered with red paint..

upload pictur

Machvince, The 71-72's used D1ZZ-18813-A which is a round telescoping staff antenna. Those were used at a time when people could fine tune the antenna for the best radio reception. (For those of us that didn't have a FM radio or a Super Deluxe 8 Track tape player) The 73 Mustang used a single piece non telescoping mast antenna. I never liked the telescoping version as they always seemed to loosen up over time and water would get inside the masts and reception would become very poor. They also seemed to be an easy target for parking lot vandals that took pleasure in bending them. One of the first things I changed on my 71's.

Another one of those fuzzy areas between model years where the late 72's more than likely were the recipients of some 73 antennas that were sent to the assembly plant in preparation for the upcoming 73 model year.                                                                                                      

A lot of confusion also stems from the fact that a radio was not standard in our Mustangs. Even when a radio was ordered from Ford  it was not installed at the Assembly plant. A radio kit was placed in the trunk along with wheel covers, floor mats and other loose items to be installed at the dealer when the vehicle Pre Delivery Inspection process (PDI) was performed.

Many dealers ordered cars without radios so the more profit producing aftermarket units could be installed. Dealers would then pull a in stock antenna off the parts shelf (Usually an LTD unit since they were considered a one size fits all) and hopefully drilled the antenna hole in the correct location. Unless the dealer had saved the antenna mounting template from the factory radio kit, that didn't always happen.  

It's been many years since I was involved in any judging, but the most recent MCA rules allow the 71-72 collapsible round mast or the 73 fixed round mast on 72 Mustangs

Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply stocks a 73 style antenna with a removable mast that would be great to use if you use a car cover or don't care about being 100% original.   http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1841

Well, the car is not supposed to be excatly matching the original.. by the way I have order a Ram (at ohiomustangsupply) kit to put in it. :angel:

For the antenna, as I understand, there are lots of possibilities..and the main point is that 71/72 is telescopic and 73 is one piece (in most of cases).

I know that the radio is not an original , so ... let's say that if i can fix  the antenna, and if it is not too floppy, i will keep it. If i have to change it, will put a fixed one.

Back