Air cleaner question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyJ

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible. 1989 306 roller block with ported heads b303 cam, Hughes street rod converter. The car has 91k original miles. Has been painted once but is unrestored. I put the new engine in at 89k. It has about 280hp which is about double the original.
On my 73 with a 302 I have a quickfuel 600 carb with the float adjusters on top of the bowls.

I'm using my stock air cleaner assembly so I had to add a 1 inch spacer to the top of the carb so that the air cleaner will clear, however the air cleaner doesn't sit quite right as the top of the spacer isn't exactly like the carb, can anyone recommend a particular spacer that has worked?

Also wondering about upgrading the assembly using a 4v or such air cleaner for better flow?

Any reason that wouldn't work?

Boy I know nothing about the non ram air cars BUT..............

Is this a case of YOUR car was a 2 BRL ....now a 4 Brl?

You statement of "have to clear" the adjusters I'm not sure I understand. ALL Holley style have those and clear FORD 4V air cleaners. (at least for clearance)

I would either Google Images and SEE if you have a 2V clearer , again I don't know enough "Maybe there is only a 2V 302 for 73"

Then look at the bottom of 4V's (they have BUMPS (front and back). You maybe able to use any older Ford base, you may just have to clearance what you have.

Mark

The 73 302 air cleaner is different than the 351c air cleaner. It has a lower profile and was designed for a 2v carb. Its possible that a 351c 2v or 4v cleaner would fit better. Find an owner of one who might let you test fit theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock 2V cleveland air cleaner will definitely clear. Here is a quick fuel carb and stock 2v air cleaner on a cleveland. Find yourself an air cleaner housing from a cleveland.

Thank you, I would like to stay with an oem style so I'll look for a 351 air cleaner, maybe someone has one laying around?

Yeah you could always check local Craigslist too. But I’m sure someone on here has one they could part with. Send Don at OMS a message. He has lots of parts cars.

Yeah you could always check local Craigslist too.  But I’m sure someone on here has one they could part with. Send Don at OMS a message. He has lots of parts cars.
I picked this one up but I'm having trouble finding a filter element, I tried an fa41 which is too short at 2.21 inches and one that's too tall at 2.8 inches, I need one that's about 2.5 inches tall and just over 11 inches inside diameter and 13 outside ?

Thank you, that looks like it some of the cross reference guides threw me off

Back