Jim Osborn 1971 Decal Kit DK0031

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys. I bought the decal kit for the yellow Mach 1 but I do not know exactly where the tire pressure decal is supposed to go and the “use genuine parts” decal. Are these one even used?? I don’t recall seeing them. Let me know. Thanks!!

So passenger side door?  That weird.
The tire decal goes on the passenger side below the B panel where door latches. Does not go on the door itself (at least I have never seen an original one there). Here is an original paint car with decal.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were on the door in ‘71..., not sure when they switched to the pillar as noted above.

They were on the door in ‘71..., not sure when they switched to the pillar as noted above.
Very interesting...so from what I have seen it sounds like the 71's may have been on the door and the 72-73's were on the pillar. Wonder when the changeover occurred?

My 71 was the first 71 to hit the dealer floor at the local Ford dealership.  The tire sticker on my car is on the passenger side door- 100% positive.

What are the measurements of the other sticker?  There is a spot on my drivers door where you can tell there once was a sticker that looks like the remnants were about the same size as the one you took a pic of.

I just checked my Feb 71 Mach and it is on the passenger door. Although this car had been repainted on the outsdie, the doors and jambs were not. When I did repaint it, we carefully taped off the original sticker and there was no doubt it was original. No idea about the small one, not seen that on the car.

Mine was original, taped the decal for the color change. I am sure it is original, but glad to confirm with others!! Specially becaus OP placed the decal based on my advice jajaj.
b8aef57f368fe52c292789da520580ba.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G9600 mediante Tapatalk

Hey guys. I bought the decal kit for the yellow Mach 1 but I do not know exactly where the tire pressure decal is supposed to go and the “use genuine parts” decal. Are these one even used?? I don’t recall seeing them. Let me know. Thanks!!

The other decal goes on the air cleaner on driver's side at about 3 o'clock on 1968 and earlier mustangs and other fords and mercury's.

71 - 73 used the red and white autolite decal.

Great posts by all as usual. Here's what I have seen on my "Fleet"and on some of my parts cars. The 71's decal is located on the passenger side door jam. The 72 and 73 decal is located on the passenger side pillar above the door latch striker plate. As always with mass produced vehicles, there will fuzzy areas at the end of or start of a new model year. Since the decal location was changed for the 72 model year, there have been instances where the decal was found in either location on early built 72 Mustangs.  

The small decal I have never seen on any 71-73. It's not on any of my ram air or standard air cleaner housings. The only decal on the side of mine is a red and white Autolite/Motorcraft service decal.  The vendors all list that decal for 65-73, but as rackerm has posted that appears to be a 60's era decal. Memory is is fading with age, but I remember a similar decal on my 67 289 Mustang air cleaner.  

The illustration shows the typical location for the Autolite/Motorcraft decal and I have seen them in the yellow X area. (Same location for non ram air housing)

Latest posts

Back