Wheel arch trim question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballaratcastle

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Just imported from the USA as an unfinished project.
[url=https://ibb.co/gXU4Qy][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f0tW5y/Mustang.jpg[/img][/url]
Team 

A set of alloy corvex wheel opening mouldings were included with the parts that came with my car. The packets were nicely labelled FLH RLH etc but without thinking about it I sent them off for powder coating and they were just put back randomly in their packets by the powder coaters.

Can someone tell me which might be front and rear please. I have identified the sides from matching the mirror image sets. One set are shorter overall than the other set and one end of two shorter ones has a flat end rather than curved. I have tried both in each where arch front and back and both look like they will fit either arch. 

Thanks Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing you have left and right figured out, the rear ones are simply longer than the front ones!
Cool thanks. So do we know if the flat end of the shorter trim goes towards the front of the wheel arch or the back?

Good thing you have left and right figured out, the rear ones are simply longer than the front ones!
Cool thanks. So do we know if the flat end of the shorter trim goes towards the front of the wheel arch or the back?
Hi Steve - getting to the small stuff is a good feeling.  I'm not smart enough to take & upload pics in a hurry but took some measurements..  The shorter one is the front - I got approx 1125 mm along the outer rounded edge.  Leading end is approx square cut, rear end has the rounded part slightly longer than inner notched section.   Other one approx 1130 so 50 mm / 2 " difference as noted above  Are there any original screw holes to help you get started ?  If not, align the front end of the front trim at the top of the stone guard where it meets the fender.  And a tip: get the top one or two screws in first to reduce the amount of flex as you go.  These things will fight you all the way and bend easily.  I used a couple of big bulldog clips & small vise grip to hold the ends in place as I worked around and did alternate front & back screws.   Hope this makes sense - come back if not.

Good work.

PKJ

Edit - revised math ! Longer ( rear ) approx 1135 so approx 10 mm difference. Apologies - it's a Monday thing.

Hi Steve - getting to the small stuff is a good feeling.  I'm not smart enough to take & upload pics in a hurry but took some measurements..  The shorter one is the front - I got approx 1125 mm along the outer rounded edge.  Leading end is approx square cut, rear end has the rounded part slightly longer than inner notched section.   Other one approx 1130 so 50 mm / 2 " difference as noted above  Are there any original screw holes to help you get started ?  If not, align the front end of the front trim at the top of the stone guard where it meets the fender.  And a tip: get the top one or two screws in first to reduce the amount of flex as you go.  These things will fight you all the way and bend easily.  I used a couple of big bulldog clips & small vise grip to hold the ends in place as I worked around and did alternate front & back screws.   Hope this makes sense - come back if not.

Good work.

PKJ

Edit - revised math !  Longer ( rear ) approx 1135 so approx 10 mm difference.  Apologies - it's a Monday thing.

Thanks PKJ

I have been trying to upload a photo I took on my phone but it kept failing so I just realised it was 7mb big so wouldnt upload. I have just downsized it and hopefully it attaches.

Good work.

PKJ

Edit - revised math !  Longer ( rear ) approx 1135 so approx 10 mm difference.  Apologies - it's a Monday thing.

Thanks PKJ

I have been trying to upload a photo I took on my phone but it kept failing so I just realised it was 7mb big so wouldnt upload. I have just downsized it and hopefully it attaches.

O K - now we're cookin' .  Top image is the front, square cut end ( on the right ) is the front start point where the fender meets the stone guard.  When I got my trims, they had close to correct bend profile but yours may have been lost in the powder coating work.   Just follow the wheel arch curve and work it fastener by fastener as you go.  Repeat: start at the top go side to side.

PKJ

Back