New member in Maine from Arizona

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ2ME Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351 2V, Blue Glow, CA emissions test, select-o-shift AT, instrumentation group, 5 F70x14 wide oval BSW white letters tires, convenience group, ps, tilt, leather wrapped steering wheel, console, deluxe bumper group, select aire AC, AM/FM, decor group, color keyed racing mirrors, tinted windows, pw, forged alum wheels. Bone stock survivor, 27,000 AZ car bought from original owner, that was delivered to a LA dealership in CA.
[url=https://ibb.co/jzkHnJ7][img]https://i.ibb.co/W0vsmVS/IMG-20180422-145544245-HDR.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello!  What a great Forum.  

I moved from Arizona to Maine a couple of years ago and brought my 1973 Mustang convertible, 351C 2V, AT, PS, PW, AC, tilt, aluminum wheels, original floor mats bought from the original owner in Arizona and has less than 27,000 miles.  Its an unmolested bone stock condo find (similar to a barn find!) and still has all the original smog equipment.  My plan is to keep it mostly stock, perhaps some performance mods.  

Looking forward to meeting you all.

IMG_20180422_145549648_HDR.jpg

Really nice car with some rare/desirable options. Noticed that you have an FMX with your 351C 2v, whereas The factory installed a C6 in mine. I wonder how Ford decided which one to use when building these cars when the drivetrain is essentially the same otherwise. Love to see pics of those original floor mats. Been looking for a set of them in Ginger for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the group. I love original cars for sure.

On the automatic trans, C-6, C-4 or FMX. I have three H codes and one has C-6 and 2 had FMX. The standard transmission would have been the 3 speed which I have an H code with that trans. So you had to pay more for the automatic and select which one you wanted.

The C-4 was a 302 only thing except for one M code fastback in 71 according to Marti. He also says only 2 H code verts in 73 had C-4. Odd isn't it.

I will have to look at the Marti window sticker and see what the up charge is for the C-6.

So if you ever find a C-4 in a 71 FB grab it will be the only one ever. The 2 verts would be worth getting also.

Really nice car with some rare/desirable options. Noticed that you have  an FMX with your 351C 2v, whereas The factory installed a C6 in mine. I wonder how Ford decided which one to use when building these cars when the drivetrain is essentially the same otherwise. Love to see pics of those original floor mats. Been looking for a set of them in Ginger for years.
Rackerm

Thank you.  It also has an interior package that I haven't been able to identify yet.  I assumed  my car had an FMX from what I had read, but now from what you've said, I want to confirm what it has.  I will get some pics of the floor mats as soon as I can.  You've got a beautiful car, love the color!

Really nice car with some rare/desirable options. Noticed that you have an FMX with your 351C 2v, whereas The factory installed a C6 in mine. I wonder how Ford decided which one to use when building these cars when the drivetrain is essentially the same otherwise. Love to see pics of those original floor mats. Been looking for a set of them in Ginger for years.
I checked my production numbers and it was a 1973 only thing.

As you mentioned, for 1973 Mustang production, Ford placed both the FMX and C-6 transmission behind the H code 351-2V motor. Interesting side-note: for 1973 only - there were no H code 3 speed manual transmission cars.

The 1973 production numbers break out like this:

Hardtop 8,797 FMX 2,350 C-6

Grande 10,799 FMX 3,816 C-6

Sportsroof 3,392 FMX 958 C-6

Mach 1 15,328 FMX 5,347 C-6

Convertible 2,984 FMX 1,957 C-6

It might have been a supply issue or maybe an engineering change that made these transmissions be substituted. It might be interesting to research to see if they all changed by build date or? Just another thing to learn about!!

Someone feel free to start a new thread calling on 73 H code folks to chime in and let us know which transmission their car installed with and related build date. Might be onto something. Or not?

They can copy/paste these numbers there to provide lead-in info.

Oh yeah - welcome from Oklahoma!

Ray

Really nice car with some rare/desirable options. Noticed that you have  an FMX with your 351C 2v, whereas The factory installed a C6 in mine. I wonder how Ford decided which one to use when building these cars when the drivetrain is essentially the same otherwise. Love to see pics of those original floor mats. Been looking for a set of them in Ginger for years.
I checked my production numbers and it was a 1973 only thing.

As you mentioned, for 1973 Mustang production, Ford placed both the FMX and C-6 transmission behind the H code 351-2V motor.   Interesting side-note: for 1973 only - there were no H code 3 speed manual transmission cars.

The 1973 production numbers break out like this:

Hardtop      8,797 FMX     2,350 C-6

Grandé      10,799 FMX    3,816 C-6

Sportsroof   3,392 FMX       958 C-6

Mach 1      15,328 FMX    5,347 C-6

Convertible  2,984 FMX    1,957 C-6

It might have been a supply issue or maybe an engineering change that made these transmissions be substituted.  It might be interesting to research to see if they all changed by build date or?   Just another thing to learn about!!  

Someone feel free to start a new thread calling on 73 H code folks to chime in and let us know which transmission their car installed with and related build date.  Might be onto something.  Or not?

They can copy/paste these numbers there to provide lead-in info.

Oh yeah - welcome from Oklahoma!

Ray
Thank you for the welcome.

Great numbers!  Where do you find stats like that?  Love the idea of a 73 H code thread.

Found the original window sticker and all it says is: "select-shift cruise-o-matic $203.73" The door tag says "trans - X" is that the FMX?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back