Starting over. 71-73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71StangNC

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang (parting out)
17 Dodge Charger Hellcat
16 Dodge Durango R/T
97 Land Rover Discovery, with Chevy 6.2
[url=https://ibb.co/x7pj36H][img]https://i.ibb.co/wz9WY4s/fargo-season-2-episode-6-nick-offerman.jpg[/img][/url]
Howdy,

My 2nd 71 Mustang ended up being a turd.  I'm bummed.  Spent a lot of money on updates/upgrades, then had the whole thing soda blasted, only to find out that so much of the chassis/frame had been compromised (covered up), that I had to part it out.   A real bummer.   At any rate, for now I'm just selling off the last few high end items, and will consider another (non-ebay), 71 this fall. 

Alas, always someone out there looking to rip a man off.  I found a stop sign as part of the trunk lid.   Portions of the firewall, and lower rockers were actually shaped Styrofoam, and bondo, even a lawn mower blade fashioned into part of the battery tray.   I honestly think it took more work to "cover up and fake", than it would have been to just effect the repairs.   Oh well, a significant investment down the drain.  :chin:

Sad news!!!!! You could always transfer the parts you bought on to a replacement car. Hope you find another one soon.

Maybe keep a watch on what members are selling. At least buying from a member you would have more confidence in your purchase.

I just replied to another member in England that had similar bad experience.

You should never buy a car unless you go do a very thorough inspection in person. A plane ticket or car ride is much cheaper than like your result is.

I live in NC also in Hendersonville in western part.

I had good luck on ebay but I ask for lots of specific pictures on the one from California and I personally went and got one in Dearborn. Please with both purchases and when people come to pick up parts they always guess the price at double and triple what I paid.

Pictures lie and for sure the owners do.

I have seen several good buys in the Charlotte and also Atlanta areas. One of the members had his 72 Q code Mach1 up for sell also. It had never been painted so nothing hidden for sure.

It is much better to look for an original car so you can see what is there.

There will always be rust they were rusty from the factory. The people on the assembly like did not give a D&%$ about doing it right. The only way they ever got quality up was to eliminate the people and use robots for most of the build.

So I will keep eyes open I find too many and have to take medication to keep from buying more, lol.

Keep your parts for the next project.

Estate sales is another place to look. A pretty solid fastback, red and original paint sold for $3,000 here this past summer and the guy drove it home.

I turned down a 71 M code with vinyl roof which was very rare in 71 for like $2,000 in your area last year. He had to have money fast.

They are easy to find just go look for sure. Some I went and look at I would not have hauled off if it was free. I have seen so rusty the seats had fallen through the floor and hood was gone back to the hood locks and he wanted $2,500 because it was a Q code with 4 speed. I offered him $1,000 to get the drive train and few hard parts that were good, space saver spare, spoiler and glass and he said no so I left with empty dolly.

I sold one of my 73 verts for a very good price for the buyer. Had it for 25 years. It is no high dollar 351C or big block car, just a very original rust free, mechanically sound 302 sunday/daily driver convertible. The guy got a bargain. I hate seeing these crooks selling garbage and giving us all a bad name. It makes it harder for the honest ones to sell their cars.

Back