New member in NC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 302
1972 Mustang Convertible 351-2V/TKO600
[Edit: Please scroll down for pics and sorry about the Russian novel for a post; didn't seem that long when I was writing it, I swear!]

Hey y'all,

My name is Mike and I live in North Carolina.  I have been lurking for quite a while and figured it was time to join.  I can't tell you how much I owe this forum and its members for about 2 years of answers and advice to a stranger who didn't know 71-73s very well.

I was a first gen Camaro guy, having a 1967 coupe that I loved dearly.  Always liked 71-73 Mustang Fastbacks, but it wasn't until I was in Asheville, NC and happened along a 71 or 72 Mustang convertible that I really fell in love.  Over the years I kept an eye out for one, but could never find the right car.  A few years ago I was selling a 1972 Blazer (350/4-speed/4X4) and happened upon a 73 that had the same paint scheme as the one I had seen in Asheville so I traded for it.  It is a surprisingly solid car that as far as I can tell is all original except for a pretty old paint job where they added 71/72 Mach 1 stripes, and unfortunately (to my tastes) "Mach 1" decals.  I modified an old 71 Mach 1 grille I found in a field and replaced my cracked 73 grille to complete the look.  I have really enjoyed the car and am surprised how many comments I get in it everywhere I drive.

As I started to figure out the car a little, I decided I would slightly prefer a 71/72 front end and a 351; I also liked the ginger interior in my 73 but thought it might clash with the paint combo I wanted.  The 73 was too original to change so drastically.  I set out looking for a complete basket case so I could make a totally new car that I knew was exactly what I wanted.  I wanted to know, driving down the road, that it was totally rust-free and exactly as I liked.  I found a ROUGH 72 a year and a half ago and towed it away in pieces.

I am pretty mechanical and can do basic bodywork, but I know a master welder in SC that can really raise cars from the dead (hence the name of the car: Lazarus).  New one-piece floor, new trunk, new inner and outer wheel wells, new inner rockers, new quarters.  New NACA hood.  Shock tower repair, complete engine bay restoration.  Totally new suspension from Mustangs Plus, late 90s Bullitt wheels, an Explorer rear disk conversion, new posi and 3:70 gears in the 9", and a conversion to manual (was FMX) with a TKO600 from MDL.  The 351 2V actually started up and runs shockingly well so I haven't rebuilt that yet.  There is almost no filler on the car, other than smoothing some holes where deleted trim, emblems, or the antenna were expertly welded in.  It currently is in black epoxy all over.  It looks so good in flat black I am tempted to paint it my preferred color then have it wrapped in flat black until the novelty wears off.

Lots still to do as I now embark on the interior, search for a good painter (leaning towards the modern Ford color "Magnetic Gray Metallic"), and I guess I need to replace the top.  I fully realize this car is an awful investment... but I just really like it and, as I had hoped, am confident that everything is done well.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.  Thanks again for all the help so far.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Illinois - always nice to have a few more verts here!

Hello from Mississippi.  We like "Lurkers" as it gives them a chance to see what a great group of people we have here. Sharp looking cars in your fleet and is also great to add two more Drop Tops to our ranks.

With your experience I look forward to your input so you can help us reel in some more Lurkers/Members.    

Welcome to your new Mustang home.

Welcome to the forum from another NC native. I am in Hendersonville and belong to the Blue Ridge Mustang Club of Asheville.

I have 5 verts and two Mach 1, most need lots of help but two are low mileage originals.

I have a friend here in Hendersonville that does the best paint work of anyone I have ever seen. His cars get best paint at every show and have won national shows also. He is not cheap goes by the hour at $500 a day. He usually does the work from ground up but you might want to talk to him or visit. He is finishing a 69 Firebird HO 4 speed for a Dr. in Hendersonville. I think the third or fourth car for him.

The pic was during wet sand of the paint he is putting interior in now and has a black vinyl roof.

So are you going to the 55 celebration in Charlotte in April. I am trying to get my 73 Mach 1 to go to the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum just down from the track. It will be a whole week of Mustangs and the grand opening of the new museum.

The nova he did for the head engineer at an automotive supplier in Asheville and it is scary fast. Some of his friends in NASCAR did the suspension. The camaro he was just doing some detail work on it was a drag car all of its life and inside like new, very low miles. If I had known the guy was going to sell I probably would have bought to flip. It is one of the good 396 engines with the good heads.

virtual dice simulator

Welcome from Maine.  Good looking vert!  Love the black on black.

Welcome to the forum from another NC native. I am in Hendersonville and belong to the Blue Ridge Mustang Club of Asheville.

I have 5 verts and two Mach 1, most need lots of help but two are low mileage originals.

I have a friend here in Hendersonville that does the best paint work of anyone I have ever seen. His cars get best paint at every show and have won national shows also. He is not cheap goes by the hour at $500 a day. He usually does the work from ground up but you might want to talk to him or visit. He is finishing a 69 Firebird HO 4 speed for a Dr. in Hendersonville. I think the third or fourth car for him.

The pic was during wet sand of the paint he is putting interior in now and has a black vinyl roof.

So are you going to the 55 celebration in Charlotte in April. I am trying to get my 73 Mach 1 to go to the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum just down from the track. It will be a whole week of Mustangs and the grand opening of the new museum.

The nova he did for the head engineer at an automotive supplier in Asheville and it is scary fast. Some of his friends in NASCAR did the suspension. The camaro he was just doing some detail work on it was a drag car all of its life and inside like new, very low miles. If I had known the guy was going to sell I probably would have bought to flip. It is one of the good 396 engines with the good heads.

Man those are some pretty muscle cars!  When I finish licking my wounds from the cash for the body work I may ping you for the contact info.  Hendersonville sure is a beautiful area man; my brother and his wife go there regularly.  I myself am in the Piedmont area.

Not sure about the 55 celebration.  Would like to go, but it depends on my work schedule.  Would love to see your '73; I have been watching your pretty intense clean-up of that car on the thread for it.

Thanks for the welcome and hopefully I will see you in Charlotte!

Mike

Back