C 6 transmission overhaul

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a few photos of my transmission while it was out of the car. Can someone tell me what the numbers mean.

John J
John,

In the first pic on the right circle is the date code of the trans...looks like 4/73.

In the fourth pic on top of the trans is the partial VIN. If this matches your car then it is the oem trans.

PGA AU3 on the tag is correct for a 73 351C CJ C6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a few photos of my transmission while it was out of the car. Can someone tell me what the numbers mean.

John J
John,

In the first pic on the right circle is the date code of the trans...looks like 4/73.

In the fourth pic on top of the trans is the partial VIN. If this matches your car then it is the oem trans.

PGA AU3 on the tag is correct for a 73 351C CJ C6.

Thanks Jeff

I checked the vin number and it a match. Getting the leaking trans fixed is one of the last thing to do on my list. I am looking forward to some warm weather so I can drive it.

John

After carefully cleaning my original C6 on my 73 vert, I found the build tag, a partial VIN (serial #), and a bunch of paint marks, which I attempted to recreate after a rebuild and before I reinstalled it.

Looks great John. Great that  you got it fixed before the nice weather gets here. Hopefully it shows up soon!
Thanks John I picked up on Friday. It shifts much better now and no leaks. I had the PS pump replaced also because it was leaking and very noisy. Oval did a great job and all you can hear is the engine now.

John J

Latest posts

Back