Thumbs up to Booster Dewey

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I sent my booster from my Mach 1 to Booster Dewey in Oregon by USPS. Sent on a Monday and he received on Wednesday. He left me a voice mail it was ready on Friday. I forgot to call on Monday but called yesterday and it is on the way back. Will get some pics of before and after and pricing info.

Told him I needed it for getting car to the museum so he put rush on it. It is not cheap for sure.

Will see how it looks and works if the car will start, lol.

Saved the original one full of brake fluid and found a replacement, slightly smaller in diameter but exact same for fittings and shape.

Would have preferred to keep the original one, but that thing not being the smallest & lightest, shipping costs from Europe and back were making it too insane.

I may open it one day and see for myself if I could do something about it.

I bet the hard part would be to find replacement membranes or make them. I've let the original of my 73 being done by a company in France back in the late 90's but they closed years ago. I guess too few let these things restored these days, not enough biz to keep a shop up&running.

Just thinking out of the box, here. Fabrice is probably right, more and more car manufacturers are moving away from vacuum boosters and installing hydraulically or electrically assisted power brakes, meaning fewer vacuum booster rebuilds available in the future. Hopefully it will be a while longer here in the U.S., but has already occured in France.

So what to do, for those that want a stock appearance? Some hydroboost units are fairly compact with the overall length comparable to a vacuum booster, and uses a stock appearing master cylinder. Here is a picture comparing a Chevy Astro van unit to a vacuum booster.

There is one company that sells aftermarket electrically assisted brakes, ABS Power Brakes, which seems to be fairly easy to install, as the power unit can be hidden under the dash and just have the master cylinder showing under the hood. The problem, they have to use ABS's master cylinder, which is not stock appearing. Hopefully they will come out with ones that are stock appearing, if there is demand for them. I believe most units that come on new cars have the master cylinder Incorporated into the power unit.

So, my out of the box thought? Camouflage a hydroboost in a vacuum brake can. I believe the hydroboost units in newer Mustangs may be a little more compact than the Astro van ones, but they come with the plastic reservoir master cylinder, and I don't know what the bolt spacing is on them. Next time I'm at Pick-a-Part I'll take some measurements.

Saved the original one full of brake fluid and found a replacement, slightly smaller in diameter but exact same for fittings and shape.

Would have preferred to keep the original one, but that thing not being the smallest & lightest, shipping costs from Europe and back were making it too insane.

I may open it one day and see for myself if I could do something about it.

I bet the hard part would be to find replacement membranes or make them. I've let the original of my 73 being done by a company in France back in the late 90's but they closed years ago. I guess too few let these things restored these days, not enough biz to keep a shop up&running.
You definately have the skills judging by your restoration to date. Why don't you call/email Booster Dewey and ask can he supply parts you need. Explain costs of shipping your complete part from France dont make sense

Back