Door panels Which are the best?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NG8264723

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang f code MACHI
Purchased in 1997 or so
My son just bought dash direct from Summit racing.  I told him he should of checked here first.  Any recomendations?

Hopefully he purchased the Original tooling one. I have two of them.

https://dashesdirect.com/product/1971-1973-mustang-original-tooling-dash-pad/

Original Ford Tooling refers to now obsolete tools that Ford Motor Company once used to mass produce the parts necessary to assemble their automotive line. The surviving tools are reinstated into production and resume making parts for the reproduction market.

These obsolete tools include metal stamping progressive dies, transfer dies, line dies and roller dies. Original Ford Tooling can also include injection molds that are used to make plastic and rubber parts.

A major benefit of reproduction parts made from original tooling is the inherent accuracy they posses since they are made from the original tools.

Source: https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/ford-tooling

I did see some of the original tooling when I visited Carpenters museum and it was in exceptional condition. It was the 51 Ford hood ornament plastic mold.

Daniel Carpenter sent the grill tooling for mustang to Taiwan to run so not all Ford tooling  is ran in the U.S.A.. I do not  think he has a mold press large enough to run them.

I use to have to scrap the Ford tooling when they said run no more. Scraped the tooling to make fender skirts for Mercury. We ran all the aluminum grills for Ford cars vans and trucks for many years. Some got scraped and some went to be ran elsewhere.

When we pissed Ford off and would not give them price decrease they pulled everything we had took 200 flat beds to haul all the tooling they kept. It took them over a year to relocate and paid more for every part than we got. Some assemblies were $50.00 more for the front floor for econoline van. Ford just had to prove they could do it.

As far as door panels I cannot say. I can say that I have never seen a set of Ginger repo panels that look right. They are splotchy and color not right. I do not think they make green. You have to supply your own trim at the top and the stainless at the carpet line.

I have a set of Distinctive Industries standard door panels.  All holes except the remote mirror were stamped and just needed to be cut out.  Don't know if this was just a fluke or something.

Would anyone happen to have the measurements or a rubbing as to were to cut the hole for the mirror knob?

Andy

Latest posts

Back