Grabber Lime Restoration Update - Power Windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 429 CJs: Grabber Lime, Grabber Blue, White, Dark Green Metallic (2), Pewter, Red Convertible 1972: Sprints (3), 1973: Pink Convertible (2)
A little more progress over the last 30 days.   Mirrors, weatherstrips and door rubber installed.  Door glass was cleaned and installed along with the power window motors and wiring.  That took a little time putting all that back in the doors without scratching anything!!

Looks great. Doors/windows can be a real PITA. At least the glass is not glued in like the 69s and early 70s. It's going to be another great car. keep us updated. Chuck

Fantastic!

Few small questions...

What did you do to get them so far or were they rust free?

What is sprayed inside, zooming the pict looks like primer

and finally, I see the door hinges, their bolts and the door were sprayed together in one pass.

As spraying from the inside would miss the non visible side of the parts, how did you manage this?

Sprayed them first once, then assemble and then final a spray from the inside?

Looking great. Are you going to have done by the fall for the cruise and Ford Dearborn show?
That would be great, but it is almost Ice Cream season, so that may slow me down for the summer!!!

73 Ice1.jpg

I’ve been through a few friends “stashes” of Power Window parts

Can I look at yours?). LOL.

mark

I could use about three chrome buttons!!   Otherwise I have to buy the whole switch just for the button!

Fantastic!

Few small questions...

What did you do to get them so far or were they rust free?

What is sprayed inside, zooming the pict looks like primer

and finally, I see the door hinges, their bolts and the door were sprayed together in one pass.

As spraying from the inside would miss the non visible side of the parts, how did you manage this?

Sprayed them first once, then assemble and then final a spray from the inside?
The doors were rust free, but we blasted them inside and out to get any surface rust off of them.   Next we epoxied the doors and then primed them inside and out.   When they painted the doors, they did not spray the inside Grabber Lime, but let the overspray handle the inside of the doors.  Each part was painted separately (hinges, bolts, doors etc) then put back together.  We put masking tape on the bolt heads so they did not scratch when we tighten them down.  Hope that helps.

A little more progress over the last 30 days.   Mirrors, weatherstrips and door rubber installed.  Door glass was cleaned and installed along with the power window motors and wiring.  That took a little time putting all that back in the doors without scratching anything!!

The glass looks great. Was it mostly just dirt and grime or did you have to buff out scratches too? What compound did you use (looks like a can of Mothers?) and how did you do the buffing?

The glass looks great. Was it mostly just dirt and grime or did you have to buff out scratches too? What compound did you use (looks like a can of Mothers?) and how did you do the buffing?
What I do with glass is first scrap the glass with a razor blade to get all the grime/muck off the glass.  Then I use lacquer thinner to remove any deposits on it, then buff it with mothers.   I don't know of anyway to get the scratches out of the glass, and haven't found anything that really worked.  This glass has quite a few scratches in it, but power window glass is different than standard glass and I wanted the carlite logo and date codes on it.   I was talking with a friend that said you can have new glass etched with the logo and a date code which he has done in the past.  I may do that down the road, but I am going to drive this with the windows down, so it will look fine to me!

Back