Favorite things to work on

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your favorite things to work on?

• Total voters

Mr Mac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportsroof
Many of us, like myself, like to do specific parts of a restoration over other parts. For instance, I'll dive in to an engine without blinking because I have done it so many times and am comfortable. By that same token, I have also done some body work in the past with success but still I don't like it as much as working the interior or bolting stuff on.

So, what about everyone else? I'm sure we all prefer one part over another so what is your favorite part?

Body work

Engine

Transmission/rear end

interior

electrical

bolt-on stuff

Great poll Mac!... you´re totally right... I do virtually everything i note i have to do... Even if i never did an engine, a trans or a rear axle, i know if i have to and i search the right info, i can do it...

I do interior work and i like it.. even the upholstery i can do fair good... Electrical too... just use a lot of common sence and i always know my limits in that matter..

But my thing, the thing i think clear and do it "better" and much more comfortable is body work, alignment and paint job... That is my click.. i just never been satiefied with another guys job in my cars so i started to practical learn the things and now i feel really comfortable facing that part of the project...

Along this typical car stuff i believe a restoration process has a lot more details that i love to do too... Being in South America forces me to work everything with much more intelect than "right tools and that stuff... I´ve learned to hate replacement made in China parts, not only because of their bad quality but for my pocket too... So... i feel really happy when i find a rusted but original bolt that i can sandblast, clearcoat it and re attach it to its original position; the same with everything you guys are used to replace and i have to restore in order to make my passion affordable...

Nowadays i know i´m not the best mechanic, neither painter, neither bodyworker or upholster but as i can do it all plus a lot of etra dedication in detailing those always forgetted parts in here, i believe i´m one of the few trully restorers in my country :)

Anyhow... that skills can´t pay my bills :(

I enjoy parts selection and assembly of the engine. I also like (most of the time) sheet metal work. Detailing parts is also rewarding. The rest is a necessary evil to finish the car. Chuck

I like my sanity, so I do almost all of my work myself. Saves me from getting PO'd at the idiot that screwed up X or Y.

Even my awesome painter forgot to clear the argent lower paint on my 71.....

I had to go with ENGINE. That's the most fun for me anyway!

I like it all except the body work, I'm not very good at that. I don't mind taking the parts off the car and doing some of the prep work, but at far as getting the sheet metal right, priming and painting, I left that up to the body shop.

A man with a firm handshake and broken knuckles is a motorhead. If I do body work the whole world knows I tried my hand at body work. Some things are just best left to the artists who love what they can do and take pride in it. Me personally, I'm a motorhead with the utmost respect for the body man.

"I like my sanity, so I do almost all of my work myself. Saves me from getting PO'd at the idiot that screwed up X or Y."

I went for an alignment and the idiots loosened my front sway bar for no reason, first ride home, CLUNK, CLUNK on every bump.

Took 3 hours to figure out what the idiots did.

I found out very quickly when a yankee moved done south that it's a good idea to do a little research. Now don't get me wrong, farmers are farmers even if their from Asia so I guess that's why I feel so at home here.

Since I have needed a good machine shop and body shop on my last project I inlisted all of input from the locals I could I get. If you dig deep enough you nfind the right people at the right prices that are quality.

Well, I guess with me it would have to be the body work, and painting of the restoration process, because I have been doing this work as my bread and butter for the past 30 years. Thats not to say that I wont jump into any other phase of the restoration. I guess Im with most of you guys, I would rather do the job myself,,, so there is no one else to blame, if im not satisfied

Dave

I had fun ripping the interior out. I have some experience with the mechanical side of cars and I understand how engines work (generally), so I like to work on that the most. I've come to realize I don't enjoy body work.

I enjoy doing most of the work myself. Last summer I decided to go back to school for a degree in automotive, this way I will be able to cut out the middle man and if it gets screwed up I have noone to blame but myself. Between what I am learning at school and what I have learned from you guys here my confidence level has gone up and I am not afraid to try something that I haven't done before.

Jim

Many of us, like myself, like to do specific parts of a restoration over other parts. For instance, I'll dive in to an engine without blinking because I have done it so many times and am comfortable. By that same token, I have also done some body work in the past with success but still I don't like it as much as working the interior or bolting stuff on.

So, what about everyone else? I'm sure we all prefer one part over another so what is your favorite part?

Body work

Engine

Transmission/rear end

interior

electrical

bolt-on stuff
the bolt on items like upgrades likd LED lights the parts of parts from different years and models to serve as attractability and functionality like ram air on a 72 q-code 4 bbl convertible ...6 way power seat in the driver hydraulic designed wipers w/xtra arm/attch...mach 1 rear trim effects the honey comb rear face plate...internally lockable gas cap that still takes stock cap but locks from inside the trunk....rear high vibration optimum battery in trunk to take a lot of other upgrade accessories as audio-security/alarm syrtem.....

I'm an interior guy I've done a few cars for myself and friends: 1967 Shelby GT500, 1970 Cougar Eliminator, 1966 mustang hardtop , 1965 Falcon Sprint, 1974 Corvette, and my own 1972 Mustang Mach1 and a 1966 Mustang GT hardtop. I rarely turn down a friend who wants interior work done and usually don't ask to be paid except to cover my cost because I find it rewarding. I love to see the finished product.

I prefer engine type stuff. I chose my car because it literraly had 1 small rust spot the size of silver dollar under the quarter window...and THAT was all. So no body work. I'm afraid my body work might look like an ocean wave. I couldnt draw a straight line with you spotting me the beginning and end and supplementing the middle. :D

I love all aspects of our cars, but cut my teeth in a custom rod shop, so body work is my favorite. Now it's been waaay too many years since I've done much of it, but now that our project is underway, all those old muscles want to come back to life.

I'm really enjoying learning the Cleveland engine, and oddly enough, I've taken it as a challenge to master understanding the electrical system- something I always shied away from before.

Back