71 coupe in France

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking car. It always amazes me how many people polish up the outside of the car and the dash for the photos, but just can't take a vacuum cleaner to the carpet.

Nice looking car. It always amazes me how many people polish up the outside of the car and the dash for the photos, but just can't take a vacuum cleaner to the carpet.
When you see all that crud on the carpets you have to ask yourself how many corners he has cut

lol. i thought the same thing

I'd say, he's not good at polishing the outside either. Would you clean/polish, then drive on a muddy road and then take the picts?

It might be my old eyes, but I'm surprised nobody mention the damaged hood on driver side (the hood extension is a thin V shape, no curves in there)

The text says the bumper just needs be rechromed, but the bumper being quite high in center and a damaged front valance tells me this baby got a big kiss on the nose and you will need more than a rechrome to fix that.

Zooming the pict, the passenger door too low on hinges, also has a strange curve...

The lack of engine picts works as a red flag on me. He claims it runs like a clock. I guess it's ok then. It's surely not an old v8 with new shiny valvecovers/airfilter in a rusty compartment.

In another register, I notice there is gear/trans indicator on top of the column. Was this an option or was it a Mexican only thingy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed the column indicator as well. Originally I thought maybe it had something to do with French motor vehicle regulations, but the guy who posted the pics said it was done by the owner. How he knows that, I did not verify. It was also interesting the the A/C installer decided to put the unit in the center of the dash and move the original heater controls to the storage pocket.

The car isn't a Mexican Mustang, data plate shows it was a Dearborn built car with an Export DSO code. It does have a supplemental data plate, which I assume is French.

I noticed the column indicator as well. Originally I thought maybe it had something to do with French motor vehicle regulations, but the guy who posted the pics said it was done by the owner. How he knows that, I did not verify. It was also interesting the the A/C installer decided to put the unit in the center of the dash and move the original heater controls to the storage pocket.

The car isn't a Mexican Mustang, data plate shows it was a Dearborn built car with an Export DSO code. It does have a supplemental data plate, which I assume is French.
I don't see any data plate on these 3 picts (was it posted on FB?). But both my 71 & 73 are imports, also originally put for first on the road with french plates. The extra plate, I had is some stamped thingy that needed be bolted in engine compartment. Later on, for private imports you would get some rivetted version of that plate. Both my car do not have this indicator, and never seen one either, at least when I was still living in France.

I asked if mexican, because thats what the guy talks about

fabriquée aux USA pour les riches mexicains, 

Made in the USA for the rich mexicans.

[and move the original heater controls to the storage pocket]

Interesting indeed. On both my cars, it's no storage there tho, its some rotating cylinders to direct the blown air. And seen some Grandé's have a script there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the pics from the FB post.

Standard heater cars had a storage pocket, which is replaced by a set of vents if you ordered A/C from the factory. All non-gage pack cars would have a script in the center, either "Mustang" or "Grande'" etc.

If this one could talk I sure would like to ask it some questions.

Considering the difficulty of finding certain repair parts for our cars here in the US, the task of doing the same  outside the states is probably daunting. Hemikiller, is it possible that for a lack of actual Mustang steering column(s)  that could be used for parts, that a column shift unit was cannibalized and the shift indicator was a result of the cross breeding? Not sure it could even be done or I would even try, but figured you would know better than I would.  When I was overseas I saw some really strange things done in the name of keeping a US car running where any kind of repair parts were nonexistent.

jorgem2, the switch your referring to is a rear window  defrost switch which looks very similar to the top switch on a vert. There is a very small circular indicator light to the left of the switch that illuminates when the  defrost is on.

Since there is a map light present (part of the convenience group) the light to the left of the headlight switch would be the park brake warning lamp.

There is another mystery lamp mounted on the instrument cluster trim bezel to the left upper of the tachometer and a mystery knob to the upper right of the speedometer. ?? (Switch for a laser blaster)!?

The odd relocation of the ac/heater controls was probably out of necessity since the  Ford dealer installed hang on air was located on the lower side of the dash on the driver and passenger side. Something I'm sure was next to impossible to either import when it was available or find now!

Overall she looks pretty good. Fabrice, do you need another project?   :whistling:

The column shared a bunch of parts with the full size Fords, so it's entirely possible that's what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if it was requested at times by people used to having a column shift indicator, to have one retrofitted. Maybe Ford even had an over the counter kit? The collar rotates via the backdrive rod, so all it would take is a stick-on indicator housing and a pointer.

I would assume the knob on the upper right is for a manual choke. The other light could be anything.

I think it's pretty neat that this car has the Deluxe knitted vinyl interior option and can count on one hand the number of base coupes I've seen so equipped. It would be interesting to see the Marti Report on this and to know the history.

Back