Trunk "Plugs"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
What are these called and where can I get them? I see kits but it is unclear to me that they contain these. TIA.

rkJj874.jpg

That is just a weld access hole and also remove some weight. The offset the edge to put strength back in. Toyota use to cut their trim lines wavy only leaving all the weld flange right where the spot weld would be. The wave took a few grams of metal off. Some were also to allow the water to get out when they washed the body before paint.

Unless they have stopped selling them, NPD sell complete kits of rubber plugs, all that's needed. I bought one for my car when I repainted it in 2014.

There were some that were metal and had screws to hold them in place. I would call and check with them.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they have stopped selling them, NPD sell complete kits of rubber plugs, all that's needed. I bought one for my car when I repainted it in 2014.

There were some that were metal and had screws to hold them in place.  I would call and check with them.

Geoff.
That is the kit I alluded to. Did it include plugs for the two holes in my trunk photo?

There were some that were metal and had screws to hold them in place.  I would call and check with them.

Geoff.
That is the kit I alluded to. Did it include plugs for the two holes in my trunk photo?
 I believe so, can't remember for sure, I know my paint and body guy replaced most if not all on my car. Best call NPD and ask.

Good luck,

Geoff.

EDIT: Mark might be right. When I get out of my "Jammies" I'll go take a look at my 71 Mach 1 trunk and get back to you.

MAN I don't think rubber was installed there EVER, and although "kits" are sold -don't think ANY PLUG is that size!!

I just went through all my original plugs and don't have anything CLOSE to that size! Now having said that Early 71's likely don't have the later "wings" shown here. Though I have been around EARLY 72 - I have no knowledge of 73's.

IF you are hell bent on filling those (Dont' know why) 4 holes - I wouldn't look for a "application" plug. NOR was there a metal (with screws) for that, that size.

Maybe you can explain WHY you are on this trek - or we can find SOMETHING that will fit! I'm even looking on C800 Big trucks for you!

Mark

Hmm, which way up is that pic and is it a fold down seat? What model is the car? Nothing like that on my 71 Mach. The only plugs in mine are two round ones on the trunk floor close to the drop-offs.

Maybe some more info please.

OK, I looked up your profile, it's a 73 Mach, so maybe a change from earlier cars?

My 73 Mach never had any plugs in those holes, to my knowledge, there were never any plugs installed in those holes.

It is a 73 and I am not hell bent on filling them. It just looked to me that Ford would have filled them when they built the car given the "plugs" elsewhere. Appreciate the help.

Back