Shocks Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
When i purchased the car the rear shocks didnt look right. So when i restored the underside i bought new shocks along with new leaf springs. After fitting both i noticed the new shocks didnt appear to sit right on the spring plates. The original set on the car were tightened right up which bent the bolt at the bottom. I have not completely tightened up the new ones as i know it will do exactly the same. So i thought the PO had replaced the spring plates with a incorrect pair so i bought a pair of spring plates from Don. When the springplates arrived i checked them against the pair on the car t find they are exactly the same shape.

Can someone tell what if anything is wrong. Pictures show the shocks in place but not completely tightened up

If i tighten the nut up the bolt securing the shock to the spring plate will bend to the angle of the spring plate

You need to swap them side to side. (R-->L , L-->R)

The stamped reinforcing rib should go across the spring, not lengthwise.

install-LSK5-26.jpg

I think a bunch of us will be checking this.

Note that even when the plate is properly oriented, the angle of the shock to plate will also vary slightly as the suspension travels up and down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back