Shocks Question

When i purchased the car the rear shocks didnt look right. So when i restored the underside i bought new shocks along with new leaf springs. After fitting both i noticed the new shocks didnt appear to sit right on the spring plates. The original set on the car were tightened right up which bent the bolt at the bottom. I have not completely tightened up the new ones as i know it will do exactly the same. So i thought the PO had replaced the spring plates with a incorrect pair so i bought a pair of spring plates from Don. When the springplates arrived i checked them against the pair on the car t find they are exactly the same shape.

Can someone tell what if anything is wrong. Pictures show the shocks in place but not completely tightened up

20180609-094741.jpg

If i tighten the nut up the bolt securing the shock to the spring plate will bend to the angle of the spring plate

20180609-094749.jpg

Steve

1971 Grande

Here is a picture under my car the shocks have the booster springs I put on the first week I had the car. Did that to make it sit level they all squatted in the rear.

DSC-0938.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I think a bunch of us will be checking this.

Note that even when the plate is properly oriented, the angle of the shock to plate will also vary slightly as the suspension travels up and down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Here is a picture under my car the shocks have the booster springs I put on the first week I had the car. Did that to make it sit level they all squatted in the rear.

DSC-0938.jpg

Thanks David. Looks like you have the staggered shocks fitted unlike mine

Steve

1971 Grande

You need to swap them side to side. (R-->L ,  L-->R)

The stamped reinforcing rib should go across the spring, not lengthwise.

install-LSK5-26.jpg

Thank You. I am just glad mine wasnt tightened up tight or i would be buying another set of new shocks :D

Steve

1971 Grande

Even if you drive on the wrong side of the road, no steering/suspension needs to be inverted! :)

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )