73 Mustang Factory Forged Aluminum Wheels Versus Factory Sport Wheel Covers

Which looks better, the Forged Aluminum Wheels or the Sports Wheel Covers  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which looks better, the Forged Aluminum Wheels or the Sports Wheel Covers

• Forged Aluminum Wheels
    • Sports Wheel Covers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old is this post...like 2 years? Sure is a lot of life with those alloy wheels.

[video=youtube]

That's great cruising music to be driving around showing off my aluminum wheels! :D

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

2 out of 3 stayin' alive....maybe he should have worn tighter pants...not that I noticed. My wife was looking over my shoulder

To be clearer, I should have said 2 out of the 3 original Bee Gee's are stayin' alive..

11jmcuc.png

351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude

Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me

• 7 months later...

I have a 73 conv given to me 8/73 for my 21st birthday present. I would be interested to know where you got the wheels and tires.

I have a 73 conv given to me 8/73 for my 21st birthday present. I would be interested to know where you got the wheels and tires.

Looks like this is your first post here so welcome to the site from Virginia! That's cool you still have your 21st Birthday present! :) Please post up a introduction thread and post some pics of your 73 convertible too!

I bought my factory aluminum wheels off of eBay several years ago. They came with the tires too. They show up for sale on eBay every once in a while and here on this website too. The wheels came with the original center caps, but they were showing their age. I bought reproduction center caps from Ohio Mustang and they look great.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Looks like this is your first post here so welcome to the site from Virginia! That's cool you still have your 21st Birthday present! :) Please post up a introduction thread and post some pics of your 73 convertible too!

I just wanted to point out a quick fact here that I'm already coming to love about this forum:

A) The general helpfulness of everyone, even when correcting someone, it's done with a level of compassion that I don't usually see on the internet

B) This post is a perfect example of this point, here is a post over three years old, that someone revitalized because of a question, and the OP (Granted he's a moderator but still) was still around and able to answer the question!

WRT to original thread, I like the aluminum ones better myself

2013 Ford Focus SE Flex Fuel 5spd - Daily Driver

When I bought my 1973 convertible, the prior owner had put un some 17" craiger knock-offs. They looked OK, but I really really wanted some original 14" aluminum slot wheels. Don at Ohop Mustang had a set that was in pretty decent shape. I ended up spending about 2 hours on each wheel to polish it back to its magnificance!

I will try to edit this post later with before and after pics :)

Wow. What a thread!

I like the slotted mags. The sport wheel covers are unique and I'd suggest you hang onto them but personally, I really never cared for them too much.

The slotted wheels are something that could have been purchased across the dealer parts counter and look excellent on your car.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

When I bought my 1973 convertible, the prior owner had put un some 17" craiger knock-offs. They looked OK, but I really really wanted some original 14" aluminum slot wheels. Don at Ohop Mustang had a set that was in pretty decent shape. I ended up spending about 2 hours on each wheel to polish it back to its magnificance!

Hey now --- Ohop Mustang ???

I think I may have another set if someone is looking

My vote is for the aluminum.

Ever have someone come up and ask where you got the custom wheels for your car? That has happened to me quite a few times and at quite a few shows over the years. If I'm being judged at a local show that pretty much includes all manufacturer's models and makes, I'll try to gently mention the wheels are factory specific for the 73 mustang...most non-71-73 Mustang fans have never seen them before....

I gotta stop PWI... Posting while intoxicated....:s

I gotta stop PWI... Posting while intoxicated....:s

Well, maybe we can do Ohop Mustang

You just pull up and we can bring the parts out to your car :P

I was never any good at skating though