Boss 351 Parts for sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hotboss

Reaction score
My Car
1970 Boss 302
Carburetor 4000$ ( D1ZF ZA 0L27)

Distributor  1400$  (D1ZF 12127 0M1)

Rev Limiter 1100$ (D0ZF 12450-B)

Oil Dipstick $750 (D1ZX 6750-BA)

OBO + plus shipping

Contact for pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, aren't some of those items on your want list for your Boss 1 car?  4K for the carburetor is a better deal than $8,500.00 "Someone" else wanted for their ZA  version!

Time to spend some of that cash you've been hoarding.     :D

Ray, aren't some of those items on your want list for your Boss 1 car?  4K for the carburetor is a better deal than $8,500.00 "Someone" else wanted for their ZA  version!

Time to spend some of that cash you've been hoarding.     :D
 I'm not sure, but wasn't the 4300D used also on 73 4V engines? If so, was there any difference?

Geoff, the 4300D was used on several applications. In 71 on the Boss 351 and the early version CJ 351. 72 saw more widespread use on all the Q engines and the 429 Police Interceptor. I ran one on my 72 N code Gran Torino (which I transplanted a 70/71 CJ short block with 72 PI heads and intake). I did find out that the 429 PI carb was the same one that was used on my Q code Gran Torinos. The 4300D continued to be used through 1974 on the Q engines. The calibrations changed mostly to reflect the emissions level of the engine.

Strangely enough, all the different 4300D part numbers used over the years ended up being replaced by one  part number. It was mostly a emissions compliant version that was so tame it was even legal to use in California.    

If one needed to, a 4300D used on a 4sp Q code could be used on a R engine. Just would not be correct for a concourse level Boss.    :)

I have a 72 Q code that had a 4300D on it. I was wondering the same thing, are they the same? If so, since mine wasn’t on a boss, then I’m sure the price would be less than half. Lol
 Maybe it was just the "tag" that was different. Unless it was absolutely the last one out there, no way is it worth 4K imo.

What is that special about the oil dipstick?

Not discussing the prices here, just would like to know what justifies the cost of that particular tube. is it having a special shape, other graduation?

Rev limiter... isn't it the thing that was tossed within a week after purchase of the car? For that one I really can imagine its a rarity. Nobody wanted them.

To me a real era correct car should really not have that thing on! :)

For those doing a concourse restoration on the B1 or even a C or J Code car; some of these parts are rare as hen's teeth today. So you pay... For those of us in the concourse game... it comes down to having the correct factory pieces with corresponding part #'s. Nothing new here folks... It's too bad the writer did not include the pictures and part #'s here. $4K for that B1 carb is a deal today if it is the real deal... The Oil dip stick? well, strictly a correct part #... At least on my J Code engine, the dip stick had a chrome handle from the factory...

Geoff, the 4300D was used on several applications. In 71 on the Boss 351 and the early version CJ 351. 72 saw more widespread use on all the Q engines and the 429 Police Interceptor. I ran one on my 72 N code Gran Torino (which I transplanted a 70/71 CJ short block with 72 PI heads and intake). I did find out that the 429 PI carb was the same one that was used on my Q code Gran Torinos. The 4300D continued to be used through 1974 on the Q engines. The calibrations changed mostly to reflect the emissions level of the engine.

Strangely enough, all the different 4300D part numbers used over the years ended up being replaced by one  part number. It was mostly a emissions compliant version that was so tame it was even legal to use in California.    

If one needed to, a 4300D used on a 4sp Q code could be used on a R engine. Just would not be correct for a concourse level Boss.    :)
Steve, other than that carb being set up at the factory for 4 speed application, i.e. no kick down linkage, the only other thing I can think of might be internal jets etc. If that were the case, then a different part number and tag would be in order and hence the Boss 1 value. Too rich for my blood!

I know my friend with the 70 Boss 302 paid in the order of 1800 bucks for a smog pump let alone other stuff that pushed the resto north of a hundred grand.

Geoff.

David, the fuel inlet and filter were all the same for the 4300D applications. I believe the biggest difference on the Z Boss version, since they were all rated at 715 CFM, was the jetting.  The Z Boss carburetor was replaced six times before the dust settled with the final two being the carb used on 1978 California/49 State 460 engines. The curtain was slowly closing on the performance landscape for a while.  :eek:(

Just as 7173vert can very well testify, if your attempting a 100% correct concours level restoration, got to reach VERY deep into your pockets.  I had discussed with him earlier and try not to bring it up very often, but I threw out several of the very same intakes (with excellent condition choke heat stoves)  and Q/Jet carburetors that could have been salvaged for his needs. So much of these type parts (T/E parts for the S/CJ, rev limiters, original carbs, etc) were pitched in the name of cleaning up and improving performance. There's that "If I Had Only Known" song playing again!

@ Fabrice. The big deal about the Boss D1ZX dipstick is that it was calibrated for 6 quarts with filter while the dipstick us commoners used was 5 quarts with filter. Strangely it had a plain black painted handle while the 429 and Boss 302 engines had chrome!

There was a Ford bulletin that released recalibrated dip sticks to reflect the new requirement for (7) quarts WITH filter on 428 CJ/SCJ, 429 CJ/SCJ and Boss 302 engines.

Since I had installed the engine oil cooler listed for 429 SCJ Torino I had to run (8) quarts.

When looking for these parts now be sure to add plenty of $$$$ signs!   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoff, your right, the Boss did run different jets. With the environment that most Boss engines lived in and the 3.91 gearing, I'm sure the extra fuel was welcomed. One of the series of replacing  carburetors was the same D2PF-TA carb I ran on my 429 CJ/PI.

With the relative ease of ordering tags online that can be made to show whatever you want your part to be, Caveat Emptor!!

We have recently seen how easy it is to "Cook" Vins on cars, just as easy to do the same with ID #'s on parts. If you do anticipate a purchase on a ultra expensive part and are unsure about something, post it on this Forum. There are so many talented people here with years of experience and knowledge, let them keep you from getting burnt and getting into trouble with your wife! :whistling:

Geoff, you were also talking about the T/E parts on your friends Boss 302. I watched my buddy with the 429 SCJ 70 Cyclone rip all the T/E equipment off that car and throw it away. The pump, hoses, brackets, valves, etc, are worth an absolute fortune now. 

My friend who restores cars and needed everything for the T/E system for a 70 Boss 429 had to go through Perkins for the parts that no one else had. I won't tell you what he spent, but you can take a wild guess and probably be closer than you think!!

"David, the fuel inlet and filter were all the same for the 4300D applications. I believe the biggest difference on the Z Boss version, since they were all rated at 715 CFM, was the jetting.  The Z Boss carburetor was replaced six times before the dust settled with the final two being the carb used on 1978 California/49 State 460 engines. The curtain was slowly closing on the performance landscape for a while.  :eek:

Just as 7173vert can very well testify, if your attempting a 100% correct concours level restoration, got to reach VERY deep into your pockets.  I had discussed with him earlier and try not to bring it up very often, but I threw out several of the very same intakes (with excellent condition choke heat stoves)  and Q/Jet carburetors that could have been salvaged for his needs. So much of these type parts (T/E parts for the S/CJ, rev limiters, original carbs, etc) were pitched in the name of cleaning up and improving performance. There's that "If I Had Only Known" song playing again! "

Bring it up often :), again, nothing new here... I knew when I bought the J Code Vert in 2015 that the restoration was going to be expensive... had the engine, trans and rear end not been original to the car, I would not have invested in/purchased this car... The only engine related items I had to purchase were those that were "thrown" out over the year's due to wear and tear: Carb, distributor, alternator, water pump and the heat shroud... I purchased exact date coded and Ford #'d parts, regardless of cost. Luckily, I had already purchased an NOS CJ water pump 20 years before, the other four pieces costs me about $4K US$, not too bad in the grand scheme of things... I agree Steve, so many of these parts were thrown aside year's ago. I could buy the carb for $150.00 in the mid nineties... Progress...

Geoff, your right, the Boss did run different jets. With the environment that most Boss engines lived in and the 3.91 gearing, I'm sure the extra fuel was welcomed. One of the series of replacing  carburetors was the same D2PF-TA carb I ran on my 429 CJ/PI.

With the relative ease of ordering tags online that can be made to show whatever you want your part to be, Caveat Emptor!!

We have recently seen how easy it is to "Cook" Vins on cars, just as easy to do the same with ID #'s on parts. If you do anticipate a purchase on a ultra expensive part and are unsure about something, post it on this Forum. There are so many talented people here with years of experience and knowledge, let them keep you from getting burnt and getting into trouble with your wife! :whistling:

Geoff, you were also talking about the T/E parts on your friends Boss 302. I watched my buddy with the 429 SCJ 70 Cyclone rip all the T/E equipment off that car and throw it away. The pump, hoses, brackets, valves, etc, are worth an absolute fortune now. 

My friend who restores cars and needed everything for the T/E system for a 70 Boss 429 had to go through Perkins for the parts that no one else had. I won't tell you what he spent, but you can take a wild guess and probably be closer than you think!!
Steve, I'd like to thank you for your knowledge and insight, passing on that knowledge to the likes of me, a relative novice so to speak, in our hobby and passion. I always look forward to your responses and you never correct mistakes or ones lack of all the facts in a demeaning way.

Thank you.

Geoff.

Reduced:

Carburetor 4000$ ( D1ZF ZA 0L27)

Distributor  1200$  (D1ZF 12127 0M1)

Rev Limiter 900$ (D0ZF 12450-B)

Oil Dipstick $600 (D1ZX 6750-BA)

OBO + plus shipping

Contact for pictures

Back