Rear Diff Leaking

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Had Christine in on Sat for an oil change and my local shop whom I trust said that the

"rear diff seeping/leaking from passenger side tube". 

Asked how to fix. Said that it needs to be welded.

Now I always look on my garage floor for leaks and see nothing.

Wouldn't I see oil leaking even if minimal?

If leaking, does the side tube need to be welded or are there other options?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Gear oil is pretty thick. So it maybe clinging to the axle and not dripping much. Might just be wet on tubes. I have seen factory welds leak over time. If it’s a leaky weld, should be an easy fix. Few minutes with grinder and welder and you’ll be good as new.

Check to make sure the axle vent is clear so pressure doesn't build up in the housing and tubes.

It just takes a pin hole to show up as a damp spot that spreads out and collects dust.

For a temporary fix you can use some Right Stuff on it after wire brushing it and cleaning it with brake cleaner.

Kevin's method is best, permanent fix.

Check to make sure the axle vent is clear so pressure doesn't build up in the housing and tubes.

It just takes a pin hole to show up as a damp spot that spreads out and collects dust.

For a temporary fix you can use some Right Stuff on it after wire brushing it and cleaning it with brake cleaner.

Did they show you the leak ? " Passenger side tube " could be a brake line connection.  I'd be going back with a " more information Grasshopper " question then you know what you're dealing with.

PKJ

I just rewelded the right side of my rear end this winter. Mine was a crack due to a misalignment of the housing pieces at the factory back in the day. It was located at about 3 o’clock at the center and I believe there is many out there that have the same issue. I actually sent the time and rewelded most of the housing and tube welds just for piece of mind before sandblasting, adding a drain in the bottom and painting.

Thanks, Jay

Did they show you the leak ? " Passenger side tube " could be a brake line connection.  I'd be going back with a " more information Grasshopper " question then you know what you're dealing with.

PKJ

Unfort no on showing me the leak. Guess I now need to crawl under, but it would have been easier to see it when on the lift. 

Thanks

Back