Rear Quarter Panel Repair Sanity Check

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible.
Restoring and fixing as I go.
Need to get some additional insight.

I've been trying to weigh between fixing the Quarter Panel with Bondo and call it a day or have someone weld the quarter panel piece I purchased.

I've included the following pictures if it helps:  Here is what I have discovered so far!

Or should I replace the quarter panel with the last picture.   Don't have the skills or tools to install .

(Any general recommendations on cost to get someone to install/replace?)

Any guidance would be appreciated, been on my mind I just want to get 'er done .

Last edited by a moderator:
I had never welded before starting on my mustang and I picked up a cheap harbor freight welder and practiced on some scrap metal. After some practice, I tackled the trunk pan and the rear tail panel and I think it came out pretty good. I have since worked on my floor pans (still have to finish those completely) but have also tackled both quarter panels and they look pretty good. It's cheaper to do it yourself and you build a new skill. I have since picked up an Eastwood welder and love it. When I did my quarter panels, I only needed to replace the middle of the wheel well and back so I did not have to change the whole thing but it still came out well. Give it a shot.

Tom

I think you are asking whether to repair the existing damage with perhaps some welding and finish with bondo or to replace the entire quarter section?

If that is the only damage on your quarter panel then I would definitely repair it.

Would not waste my time welding in a large section just for an easy repair

Difficult to see from the photos but assuming no rust holes and just some previous damage then might just need to pull out any dents as best you can

Many ways to do it like a simple slide hammer with a hook and tack weld one or two washers to the low spots then little by little tap it out

Nothing wrong with body fillers at all just use a good quality product and don't put it on too thick i.e 1/8 inch layers

When I stripped all paint from my coupe which hadn't been touched since 1980s it had body filler on every panel and in some places more than 1/2 inch thick!

There was no cracking, lifting or surface rust below so my guess is they did the prep work correctly which basically is to scuff the bare metal with course 36-80 grit to allow for adhesion, prep the metal with a surface conditioner which is not always necessary and apply thin layers of filler. Best to get the metal repair as best you can though and use minimal filler for the imperfections

Other thing to remember when working with body filler is to try not to use any water or wax and grease remover on it as it is porous and could cause issues later

Best just to dry sand the filler, blow off the dust and get some primer sealer on it such as epoxy primer. After this you can get it straighter with a high build primer and/or fine poly filler or glaze putty

Do it once do it right. Bodge will only come back to haunt you. Whatever job you do just do it once and you can own the car for 50 years before it needs doing again

You could also put in your patch panel with 3m 8115 panel bond or equivalent. Around $40

00 a tube. 3m was making single use tubes, I don't know if they still do. Some paint stores have loaner guns. Super strong, good corrosion resistance, no warpage. Considered by many to be a better way for patch panels

Appreciate everyone's input.  So too much Bondo is not the direction I should go .  Understood. 

Vintageman:   Welding is very new to me , just concerned I may burn my house down.

Keiths71 using the 3M panel bond seems a safer option, unless I glue myself to the car.

is there a general step by step process :  what to cut/remove/replace from either welding /panel bonding?

Guess  I'm trying to make some  "progress" on the car. Not very successful yet..

Bear with me .. A man who's been behind a keyboard too long ... and trying learn a new trade

I'm new at this and that's where the progress is stalling or maybe just afraid to cut and end up with 1/2 car..

Hence this is why I have 2 quarter panels just laying in the garage.

sigh :(

Replace the quarter panel. I prefer to butt weld it. If you glue it you will have a large seam and a good amount of filler to hide it. I like to use minimal amount of filler as possible. Here is a link to a thread that I took a lot of pics of while replacing quarter panel. Take a look and ask some questions if you need more info!!

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-project-for-this-winter-71-mach-1

Back