Rear View Mirror Replace Mirror

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Has any one ever replaced the mirror part of their rear view mirror.  I have been told that a flex style mirror glass is available to use as a replacement.  Use a heat gun to warm up the mirror black plastic surrounding the mirror to get it to flex then "pop out" the existing mirror (glass).  Sounds pretty strait forward, however sometime simple things can be a problem.  Just wondering if any one has ever done this.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac

Has any one ever replaced the mirror part of their rear view mirror.  I have been told that a flex style mirror glass is available to use as a replacement.  Use a heat gun to warm up the mirror black plastic surrounding the mirror to get it to flex then "pop out" the existing mirror (glass).  Sounds pretty strait forward, however sometime simple things can be a problem.  Just wondering if any one has ever done this.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac
Have you thought of just replacing it?  I think they run around $30 or so.  Check with Don at Ohio Mustang and he can tell you if it is close to the original in looks and design.  I went that route when I replaced mine and they were similar in looks..

Thanks!

Mac
Have you thought of just replacing it?  I think they run around $30 or so.  Check with Don at Ohio Mustang and he can tell you if it is close to the original in looks and design.  I went that route when I replaced mine and they were similar in looks..
Thought about replacing it, however I would very much try to keep it original as possible since I've owned it from new.  I have a couple of junk mirrors I picked up at Ford Carlisle last year, so I will practice on replacing the glass in one of these first to see how difficult and how it turns out.  If everything goes o.k., I'll post the results.

As noted above West Coast Cougar refinishes the mirrors. They have a lengthy video on their site about the process removal and replacement. Had mine done 3 years ago and very happy with it.

If your feeling brave and want to try to fix it yourself take a look at the video on youtube. You might get lucky be not be the 1 in 10 that bust the mirror. Its actually a easy job if you are shown the CORRECT way to fix. Same as any job as long as you are shown the correct way its easy with a dose of confidence.

Back