Rear View Mirror Replace Mirror

Has any one ever replaced the mirror part of their rear view mirror.  I have been told that a flex style mirror glass is available to use as a replacement.  Use a heat gun to warm up the mirror black plastic surrounding the mirror to get it to flex then "pop out" the existing mirror (glass).  Sounds pretty strait forward, however sometime simple things can be a problem.  Just wondering if any one has ever done this.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac

Should be easy to find a good used one all were black. Do not know if all were day / night. Special type mirror also used so not so much headlight glare from the rear.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Has any one ever replaced the mirror part of their rear view mirror.  I have been told that a flex style mirror glass is available to use as a replacement.  Use a heat gun to warm up the mirror black plastic surrounding the mirror to get it to flex then "pop out" the existing mirror (glass).  Sounds pretty strait forward, however sometime simple things can be a problem.  Just wondering if any one has ever done this.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac

Have you thought of just replacing it?  I think they run around $30 or so.  Check with Don at Ohio Mustang and he can tell you if it is close to the original in looks and design.  I went that route when I replaced mine and they were similar in looks..

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Thanks!

Mac

Have you thought of just replacing it?  I think they run around $30 or so.  Check with Don at Ohio Mustang and he can tell you if it is close to the original in looks and design.  I went that route when I replaced mine and they were similar in looks..

Thought about replacing it, however I would very much try to keep it original as possible since I've owned it from new.  I have a couple of junk mirrors I picked up at Ford Carlisle last year, so I will practice on replacing the glass in one of these first to see how difficult and how it turns out.  If everything goes o.k., I'll post the results.

Mac,

Go to West Coast Classic Cougars. They offer a mirror restore service. They will take yours and have it restored.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c9zz-17700-b-restored.html

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

As noted above West Coast Cougar refinishes the mirrors. They have a lengthy video on their site about the process removal and replacement. Had mine done 3 years ago and very happy with it.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

As noted above West Coast Cougar refinishes the mirrors. They have a lengthy video on their site about the process removal and replacement. Had mine done 3 years ago and very happy with it.

Thanks for the info guys!

Mac

If your feeling brave and want to try to fix it yourself take a look at the video on youtube. You might get lucky be not be the 1 in 10 that bust the mirror. Its actually a easy job if you are shown the CORRECT way to fix. Same as any job as long as you are shown the correct way its easy with a dose of confidence.

Steve

1971 Grande