Grabber Lime Restoration Update - AC Unit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 429 CJs: Grabber Lime, Grabber Blue, White, Dark Green Metallic (2), Pewter, Red Convertible 1972: Sprints (3), 1973: Pink Convertible (2)
Progress continues with the re-building of the AC Plenum and Blower Motor.  Found the original drain hose with Autolite still on it and the AC Plenum still has the original nipple at the bottom.  Both units installed in the car along with the Defroster duct.     Next comes the Accelerator Pedal, Brake Pedal Assembly and Booster, then the dash goes in.

IMG_7819.jpg

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7824.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7950.jpg

IMG_7951.jpg

IMG_7953.jpg

Looking great Mike. Your making some good steady progress.

The nipple at the bottom of mine was busted off when i done mine. I had to get the fibreglass out and make a new one and filled a couple of other holes with some fibreglass too. I still got to install mine.

I bought some of this for insulation. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-underfelt-soundproofing-acoustic-felt-sound-deadening-underlay-insulation/182950799448?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=690268385949&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Looks like you are not installing the sound deadener/insulation blanket above the plenum?
I need to put that back in and down the sides too.  I am not sure if the make the original with the black plastic on the bottom of it and the insulation on the back side, but mine was an absolute mess taking it out. 

I see David has some that it backed in silver, what is that and where did you get that?

An OEM looking product is not being reproduced yet, but I am talking to a company that makes similar parts for GM and Mopar applications. David's pattern will be used to make the parts hopefully.

You could spray adhesive to black plastic and hide the foil. I am not into showing a car never will. I just put there to kill some of the noise and help with engine heat.

I went yesterday and got couple pieces of the under carpet pad they have in upholstery shop to change the eaten up insulation in the rear on the side panels.

The cowl insulation in my Mach 1 was all put to use by the mice for hotels, lol. I ran the ozone generator for hours in the car. I have no smell so I ask Clay when he was here if he could smell anything. He said it smelled like fresh laundry to him, lol. Mouse pee everywhere. Ozone generator will eliminate any odor.

The material I used was the cheap stuff off ebay from China. Hey I am 71 how long does it need to last, lol.

Looks like you are not installing the sound deadener/insulation blanket above the plenum?
I need to put that back in and down the sides too.  I am not sure if the make the original with the black plastic on the bottom of it and the insulation on the back side, but mine was an absolute mess taking it out. 

I see David has some that it backed in silver, what is that and where did you get that?
Mike you could use black shrink wrap around some jute. As long as you go around the jute more than once the shrink wrap will cling to previous layer you wrapped around jute. 

Heres a link to shrink wrap   https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-x-1500-80-Ga-1-Roll-Pallet-Wrap-Stretch-Film-Hand-Shrink-Wrap-1500FT-Black/191703316265?epid=1248642556&hash=item2ca2687729:g:zYsAAOSw1HxZxYk4&frcectupt=true

I hate using Jute for anything. It traps moisture/water and will stay there and rust any metal its near.

If it is your only option, then I would use some POR15 on the firewall first. Then some Rustoleum Spray on truck bed liner in the rattle cans. Its not that great as a truck bed liner, but damn that stuff is evil hard. The odors will just about kill you too. I sprayed the entire interior of my bronco with it, then put down Rattletrap XXX sound deadener. This was 5 years ago. I recently had to change out the carpet, so I peeled up a bit of the XXX sound deadener to see what the underside looked like after 5 years of giant holes leaking water from my cowl. No Rust at all. Which is amazing seeing that the holes in my cowl, 6 of them, are about 4-6 inches long and 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches wide. Wide open to the elements. It was being concealed by some old seam sealer. I noticed it curling so I removed it to re-apply more and found the giant holes. I'm still in the process of patching those holes.

Mike your pictures are close up and detailed which is what i needed for my A/C install. Thanks for taking the time to take detailed pictures. When you install the rest of A/C under the hood can you take the pictures step by step from the first bracket install.

You could spray adhesive to black plastic and hide the foil. I am not into showing a car never will. I just put there to kill some of the noise and help with engine heat.

I went yesterday and got couple pieces of the under carpet pad they have in upholstery shop to change the eaten up insulation in the rear on the side panels.

The cowl insulation in my Mach 1 was all put to use by the mice for hotels, lol. I ran the ozone generator for hours in the car. I have no smell so I ask Clay when he was here if he could smell anything. He said it smelled like fresh laundry to him, lol. Mouse pee everywhere. Ozone generator will eliminate any odor.

The material I used was the cheap stuff off ebay from China. Hey I am 71 how long does it need to last, lol.
I like your idea of the stick-on kind. I am not going to show my car either, just drive it.  I think I'll go down the path you did.

Mike you could use black shrink wrap around some jute. As long as you go around the jute more than once the shrink wrap will cling to previous layer you wrapped around jute. 

Heres a link to shrink wrap   https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-x-1500-80-Ga-1-Roll-Pallet-Wrap-Stretch-Film-Hand-Shrink-Wrap-1500FT-Black/191703316265?epid=1248642556&hash=item2ca2687729:g:zYsAAOSw1HxZxYk4&frcectupt=true
Now that is a good idea.  Maybe even use spray adhesive to make it stick also.

Mike your pictures are close up and detailed which is what i needed for my A/C install. Thanks for taking the time to take detailed pictures. When you install the rest of A/C under the hood can you take the pictures step by step from the first bracket install.
I certainly will as I go forward.

Back