Power pump volcano.....Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I just fitted a new power steering pump. So when i found fluid all over the floor i WRONGLY ASSUMED it was the power steering box leaking :shootself: 

I have just discovered its the BRAND NEW power steering pump that has a wierd thing going on. When the car is running the power steering pump has NO ISSUES. However, when i switch the engine off the power steering fluid floods forces the dipstick out enough for a volcanic eruption of power steering fluid. The system has not been overfilled any time

Agreed. There's a procedure to bleed air from the system in the shop manual. Basically it's run the engine at X rpm and run the steering lock to lock for X times.

Agreed. There's a procedure to bleed air from the system in the shop manual. Basically it's run the engine at X rpm and run the steering lock to lock for X times.
I tried that yesterday. Warmed engine for 5 minutes. Turned the steering full lock both ways 20x. Still occurred again this morning. I let it be now and let things settle down. Then tomorrow moring will warm up for 5 minutes again then take for a drive. Check the level with car running then switch off and pray. Hope it is just a airlock and not a valve sticking open or whatever it is opens and closes ;)

Are you doing the turning lock to lock with the wheels off the ground? I find this works better to get the air out when taking all resistance off the tires.

You bet. It took me several times to get all of the air out of mine. I also stop and check the level as I am turning the wheel to make sure the fluid level does not drop and end up sucking in more air.

You bet. It took me several times to get all of the air out of mine. I also stop and check the level as I am turning the wheel to make sure the fluid level does not drop and end up sucking in more air.
Yeah it done exactly that earlier today. Pump just gulped it down really fast. I am just happy the issue has been identified and given a solution. Membership of this forum with access to so many wise owners is a privilege especially when i am such a novice.

Back