What horn button is correct for 73 mach 1?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
I have a 73 Mexican Mach 1, and its missing the horn button.  there seem to be a number of different ones to choose from.

I don't know if the steering wheel is original from factory, but I like it.  does anyone have a picture of the correct horn button?

image uploader

Not sure what the Mexican had. Depends on the level of the interior. The standard Mach 1 in the U.S. had just a plain two spoke wheel. The deluxe had wood grain insert like the door panel and dash center. In U.S. there was a leather wheel option that had the wood grain center. There would also have been the rim blow in three spoke as an option.

I would go to the Mexican Mustang facebook page and put your question there. The interiors were very different even the cars were in Mexico.

From what another member has found the 4 speed was unique and also had Dana rear instead of the Ford rear.

Here is picture of my 73 with leather wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what the Mexican had. Depends on the level of the interior. The standard Mach 1 in the U.S. had just a plain two spoke wheel. The deluxe had wood grain insert like the door panel and dash center. In U.S. there was a leather wheel option that had the wood grain center. There would also have been the rim blow in three spoke as an option.

I would go to the Mexican Mustang facebook page and put your question there. The interiors were very different even the cars were in Mexico.

From what another member has found the 4 speed was unique and also had Dana rear instead of the Ford rear.

What is the correct orientation for this wheel. One side of he wheel is smooth and the other has ridges. I've always put the ridges at 6 o'clock, at the bottom. But a lot of the driving time is with one hand around 12 o'clock with my thump where the ridges would be if I oriented them at 12 o'clock. Which I think would feel better. :chin:

DSC_0580.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

I honestly can't remember how the wheel was oriented when I bought it, I don't know if that would have been correct anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the wheel can be put in either way.

thanks

What is the correct orientation for this wheel. One side of he wheel is smooth and the other has ridges. I've always put the ridges at 6 o'clock, at the bottom. But a lot of the driving time is with one hand around 12 o'clock with my thump where the ridges would be if I oriented them at 12 o'clock. Which I think would feel better. :chin:

DSC_0580.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

I honestly can't remember how the wheel was oriented when I bought it, I don't know if that would have been correct anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the wheel can be put in either way.

thanks
These 3 spoke wheels have the middle one at 6 o'clock, straight up & down.  Get the front wheels pointing straight ahead before you pull the steering wheel.  There should be a small notch at top center ( 12 o'clock ) which you need to align with a similar mark on the steering shaft for " straight ahead ".

If it's off first time you drive it, wheel alignment should fix this.  My understanding is that the horn center caps are very touchy so do your homework first.

I had one of these to start with but replaced with a two spoke as shown above.  Easy fix with correct parts.

PKJ

I guess I didn't ask the question very clearly.

I have the 2 spoke and am trying to figure out where this feature should be. When going straight down the road, would this be on the top or the bottom of the wheel ?

One side of the wheel has these and the opposite side does not.

wheel.jpg
;

I guess I didn't ask the question very clearly.

I have the 2 spoke and am trying to figure out where this feature should be. When going straight down the road, would this be on the top or the bottom of the wheel ?

One side of the wheel has these and the opposite side does not.

wheel.jpg
;
Ahh - gotcha now.  I thought you were on to the Mexican car.  If you zoom in on the 2 spoke pics above, you'll see the ridged section is at the bottom with running horse emblem sitting correctly.  Same comment applies ref the central alignment notch which will put it all in the right place.

Sorry for confusion.

PKJ

The horn pad is actually designed to be a bit off center. The large arc should be on the bottom which is also the one with the ridges.

Thanks all, So I have had always oriented correctly.

I'll have to look at the horn pad. I know that it was a little worn and indented on one side, when I got the car. The indentation fits  perfectly for your thumb when you have your arm hanging out the window and  thumb resting on the pad. 

I rotated it 180 degrees so that it will wear evenly,   :D

Back