71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whelessray

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 Fastback, 351c
[url=https://ibb.co/cOit78][img]https://preview.ibb.co/khXmS8/May_15_2018_369.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello everyone.  I bought this 71 Mach 1 last year.  It had 113K original miles.  I have restored the interior, replaced the cowl and floor pans, new windshield, touched up the engine bay installed a double din stereo with a backup camera, and now I am about to repaint it.  I live in Texas and this is my hobby now!

Mach 1.jpg

Welcome from West Texas! Where you at, anyway?

NICE CAR!!  I'm thinking we're some of only a few 'light pewter, no stripe cars' around, so I'm hoping you do everything you can to resist the urge to toss on those hockey stripes after the paint goes on.  :cool:

Of course, as nice as it looks in that picture, I don't know that I'd be looking to repaint it just yet. ::thumb::

Let's see some more of the good stuff (pictures)!!

Hi and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.

That car looks just like the car I have when it was new. No stripes, hood blackout or other add-ons. It would not however, have had Magnum 500's unless 15" were special ordered. But, who cares, it's your car and it looks great as is. 

Please send more pics especially of the motor and a whole load more details about the car.

Geoff.

aka Stanglover.

Any photos of how you did your backup camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, very happy we found this site. My husband & I recently bought a 1971 Mach 1. 

1971 Mach1

4-speed AOD Auto (tranny changed)

Engine hi prof 351 Cleveland trick flow alum heads , comp cam 280h (need to take his word can't see), 4 dbl barrel Edelbrock Abs2 Crab (need to take air cleaner off to verify), dual plane alum intake (need to verify), roller rockers (can't tell), forged pistons (can't tell)

Original Ram Air NASA hood

Rear louvers

unfortunately I think we didn't got the car represented. We literally just received the car tonight.

The seller didn't disclose rust (bumper, trunk, trunk lid, one rim I could see, passenger lock doesn't work, door jams are multicolored, yellow paint had white fade marks, looks like spray paint on the car's cowling, seems like there's Bondo around the rear wheel welds.  not sure will look tomorrow, but it seems like parts of the doors are missing.  Vinyl not genuine leather. Its amazing how you can see yellow spray paint. we will do a more extensive overview tomorrow.

The VIN seems go match Mach 1, but there aren't matching numbers. 

Our concerns & questions please.  how do we verify this is a genuine Mach 1?  Regarding what we already know above, of that what diminishes the value? 

Any suggestions, impute and advise is greatly appreciated. 

Mario & Phyl

Hello everyone.  I bought this 71 Mach 1 last year.  It had 113K original miles.  I have restored the interior, replaced the cowl and floor pans, new windshield, touched up the engine bay installed a double din stereo with a backup camera, and now I am about to repaint it.  I live in Texas and this is my hobby now!
Great looking car, that is very similar to the goal look of mine. Same color, chrome (except I am not doing wheel lip chrome) also I went with hub caps and trim rings. Also Black interior.

How is yours configured? Motor and trans?

Great looking car, that is very similar to the goal look of mine. Same color, chrome (except I am not doing wheel lip chrome) also I went with hub caps and trim rings. Also Black interior.

How is yours configured? Motor and trans?
351 Cleveland with 4 speed transmission 

Numbers don't match

Hello, very happy we found this site. My husband & I recently bought a 1971 Mach 1. 

1971 Mach1

4-speed AOD Auto (tranny changed)

Engine hi prof 351 Cleveland trick flow alum heads , comp cam 280h (need to take his word can't see), 4 dbl barrel Edelbrock Abs2 Crab (need to take air cleaner off to verify), dual plane alum intake (need to verify), roller rockers (can't tell), forged pistons (can't tell)

Original Ram Air NASA hood

Rear louvers

unfortunately I think we didn't got the car represented. We literally just received the car tonight.

The seller didn't disclose rust (bumper, trunk, trunk lid, one rim I could see, passenger lock doesn't work, door jams are multicolored, yellow paint had white fade marks, looks like spray paint on the car's cowling, seems like there's Bondo around the rear wheel welds.  not sure will look tomorrow, but it seems like parts of the doors are missing.  Vinyl not genuine leather. Its amazing how you can see yellow spray paint. we will do a more extensive overview tomorrow.

The VIN seems go match Mach 1, but there aren't matching numbers. 

Our concerns & questions please.  how do we verify this is a genuine Mach 1?  Regarding what we already know above, of that what diminishes the value? 

Any suggestions, impute and advise is greatly appreciated. 

Mario & Phyl

Hello and Welcome from Michigan. Go to the introduction page and then start your own introduction. You will get more responses and if you can post up some more pics...we love the pictures. Sure sounds like you may have been misled, but hopefully not too much.

A true Mach 1 will have an 05 in the 3rd & 4th spot of the vin number. also should not have roll down rear windows unless it has been converted or has power windows, then they will go down. There’s a vin stamped on the back of the block also and one under the drivers side front fender next to the shock tower. The fender has to come off to see that though.

This is a great site and there’s so many knowledgeable and great people on here. Good luck with your new ride!

Example of a vin 1F05M17506

1=year

F=assembly plant

05=body style 

M=engine code

17506=consecutive unit number

Back