Steering Wheel Puller advice needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz70

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1, White
hi folks, i need to remove my steering wheel in order to access firewall footwell area and front floorpan without banging my head all the time. I need to order a puller at short notice in the UK so i can work on car this weekend, but i believe most pullers here come with metric thread bolts, does anyone know what threads are on the 71-72 Mustang steering wheels ? I can then cross reference with some potential pullers to see if they're suitable. Or even if you can show me a good puller available in the US and I can check to see suitability. thanks in advance.

Going by memory, I believe they are fine thread 5/16". Most steering wheel pullers I have seen accept a variety of bolt sizes, and if they come without the correct size a trip to the hardware solves it. I assume inch-size bolts are readily available in the U.K.

This type is suitable for just steering wheels

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27017-Steering-Wheel-Puller/dp/B0014WDKCI/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=steering+wheel+puller&qid=1555367417&s=automotive&sr=1-5

You can upgrade to this type if you think you'll need to pull harmonic balancers, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-Flywheel-Complete-Crankshaft-Steering/dp/B01MS1KM0L/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=steering+wheel+puller&qid=1555367603&s=automotive&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Going by memory, I believe they are fine thread 5/16". Most steering wheel pullers I have seen accept a variety of bolt sizes, and if they come without the correct size a trip to the hardware solves it. I assume inch-size bolts are readily available in the U.K.
Yes they are available here, thanks for the quick response, this is helpful. I've found this one which I'll order now and should arrive by Wednesday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-46-Piece-Universal-Steering-Separator/dp/B078S4XD7S

Yes they are available here, thanks for the quick response, this is helpful. I've found this one which I'll order now and should arrive by Wednesday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-46-Piece-Universal-Steering-Separator/dp/B078S4XD7S
I just bought one like that for my Safari (GM). Had a problem as the 180* bolt slots were too far apart and kept the bolts at an angle. Had to fudge it to make it work.

The other type Don posted about should allow the bolts to be pretty close to the center screw and be vertical. Not sure if this is a problem with the Ford wheel.

Baz if you ever need to search for anything to do with bolts or threads just add "SAE" or "AF" or "Imperial" and that will normally find what you need. Differant sellers will use one or more of those 3 and using all 3 helps find best price

Baz if you ever need to search for anything to do with bolts or threads just add "SAE" or "AF" or "Imperial" and that will normally find what you need. Differant sellers will use one or more of those 3 and using all 3 helps find best price
ok got it, thanks. i added Imperial to search and found the product. AF is the one I keep forgetting about. I've just received the puller, fingers x'd going down to the garage to see if its a quick job !

ok, took me all of 5 mins to remove, here are some pics to help others, thanks to all who responded, this is the best place to come to!

Now I can crack on with my work without banging my head on the steering wheel. Opinion : I don't like the factory steering wheel, i don't know what Ford were thinking to put a thin wheel in a fastback. Maybe hindsight is a good thing. I'll keep it, as i want to stay factory original, but i dont like the feel of it, feels like I'm driving a bus :)

Now I can crack on  with my work without banging my head on the steering wheel. Opinion : I don't like the factory steering wheel, i don't know what Ford were thinking to put a thin wheel in a fastback. Maybe hindsight is a good thing. I'll keep it, as i want to stay factory original, but i dont like the feel of it, feels like I'm driving a bus :)
The large steering wheel was to accomodate those buyers that didnt opt for PAS. Large steering wheels make it easier to turn without power steering. There are aftermarket like grant steering wheels that are a lot smaller. I opted for the British Mota Lita wood steering wheel. Its still big but i like its look

free image hosting site no sign up

I agree, its like the standard sizes they used to design the steering wheel were based on aliens bodies or something. Tall persons able to see above a hood with very large shoulders, long arms with tiny little hands... really not me :)

That why I measured with templates what would be fine for me and made my own for my 73 and will make another same one for the 71. I like some of the designs I see online sometimes like the one above but they have 3 branches and I wanted 4.

I agree, its like the standard sizes they used to design the steering wheel were based on aliens bodies or something. Tall persons able to see above a hood with very large shoulders, long arms with tiny little hands... really not me :)

That why I measured with templates what would be fine for me and made my own for my 73 and will make another same one for the 71. I like some of the designs  I see online sometimes like the one above but they have 3 branches and I wanted 4.
can you show me pic of the one you made for your 73 Fabrice ? I'm curious now.... Steve that's a nice steering wheel.

Maybe some more pics of folks' replacement steering wheels to get me thinking.... meantime, i have to send mine off to get repaired....

That why I measured with templates what would be fine for me and made my own for my 73 and will make another same one for the 71. I like some of the designs  I see online sometimes like the one above but they have 3 branches and I wanted 4.
can you show me pic of the one you made for your 73 Fabrice ? I'm curious now.... Steve that's a nice steering wheel.

Maybe some more pics of folks' replacement steering wheels to get me thinking.... meantime, i have to send mine off to get repaired....
I inherited one that should have been in a golf buggy.  Bought a used two spoke much the same as you have plus the bits to rebuild it.  What type of repairs does it need ? They're not difficult to fix - search this forum.

To get past the skinny feel and add more grip, I fitted a fake leather wrap around cover.  Had a similar set - up on another old car and worked well.

Good fun.

PKJ

I inherited one that should have been in a golf buggy.  Bought a used two spoke much the same as you have plus the bits to rebuild it.  What type of repairs does it need ? They're not difficult to fix - search this forum.

To get past the skinny feel and add more grip, I fitted a fake leather wrap around cover.  Had a similar set - up on another old car and worked well.

Good fun.

PKJ

that's quite a creative solution, I think that works well with the original steering wheel.

Here you go...

In case you'd go for your own fab, while it's not complicated and can be done with basic tools, it's a "one shot" thingy.

The 5mm thick aluminium selected for the job with high grade cannot be bend more than once in order to preserve its strength.

Meaning the 2 planes that needs be paralel to ensure the wheel turns round needs to be slowly pressed into shape, and there is no way back.

If you'd fail that step, its back to drawing board :). That's the only really tricky part that I've experienced.

For the rest, aside carefully planning your building steps, like keep the center hole small to fit the plate on a rotating tool for all kinds of details you'll need and not drilling to definitive radius right away or have holes to screw your wood done before you scratch your head on the how to have the wood in place without any chances it would ever move..  

It's no rocket science and as you see bellow, using you own CNC machine (your hands)and basic tools like a file and drilling machine is all you need to have a long lasting, strong and most of all: your personal steering wheel that matches your body and style.

I did this one 25 years ago, and its today looking same way it was made.

Another detail that matters, make sure you pick the column adapter before, so you have the steering to column adapter holes with perfect match and alignment in early steps of the build. Count a weekend to make it this way.

Now days, you could draw your design in illustrator, export as dwg, and let some shop laser cut the aluminium (or other metal). That would be less fun and more expensive as they usually charge for each cutting starts(and there are lots in there), but you would skip the tedious cutting part.

I've also made two horns buttons (one with the pony is on the pict), which was for the branding handmade engraving+paint, but made a mistake and a few mm diff made it not fit right. So went plan b and used some ford logo found on wheels parts and mixed it with some another button mechanism found elsewhere.

Design wise, it matches my aluminium dashboard details. vents have same designs as the wheel branches.

Here you go...

In case you'd go for your own fab, while it's not complicated and can be done with basic tools, it's a "one shot" thingy.

The 5mm thick aluminium selected for the job with high grade cannot be bend more than once in order to preserve its strength.

Meaning the 2 planes that needs be paralel to ensure the wheel turns round needs to be slowly pressed into shape, and there is no way back.

If you'd fail that step, its back to drawing board :). That's the only really tricky part that I've experienced.

For the rest, aside carefully planning your building steps, like keep the center hole small to fit the plate on a rotating tool for all kinds of details you'll need and not drilling to definitive radius right away or have holes to screw your wood done before you scratch your head on the how to have the wood in place without any chances it would ever move..  

It's no rocket science and as you see bellow, using you own CNC machine (your hands)and basic tools like a file and drilling machine is all you need to have a long lasting, strong and most of all: your personal steering wheel that matches your body and style.

I did this one 25 years ago, and its today looking same way it was made.

Another detail that matters, make sure you pick the column adapter before, so you have the steering to column adapter holes with perfect match and alignment in early steps of the build. Count a weekend to make it this way.

Now days, you could draw your design in illustrator, export as dwg, and let some shop laser cut the aluminium (or other metal). That would be less fun and more expensive as they usually charge for each cutting starts(and there are lots in there), but you would skip the tedious cutting part.

I've also made two horns buttons (one with the pony is on the pict), which was for the branding handmade engraving+paint, but made a mistake and a few mm diff made it not fit right. So went plan b and used some ford logo found on wheels parts and mixed it with some another button mechanism found elsewhere.

Design wise, it matches my aluminium dashboard details. vents have same designs as the wheel branches.

wow you have some serious fabrication talent there Fabrice, that is art!

thx, but no it's not.

I just couldn't find any even near the design and size I wanted. Bit strange if you look at it, on itself not very special and pretty classic, it could fit many interiors.

Yet 4 branches with light wood are a rare breed and the classy British ones were all 3 branches and bigger. At least at the time I was looking for one.

You should try, you'd be surprised how fun and fairly easy it is to make one, The hardest part is actually to want it and start making it :)

Back