Where is my 1973 Mustang Data Plate?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesro

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Grande Coupe 351C

[url=https://ibb.co/mzJQNrQ][img]https://i.ibb.co/NYxwTgw/Mustang-Jan2020.jpg[/img][/url]
I am looking for my 1973 Mustang Grande Data Plate. 

Where is that usually found on the car?  

Unfortunately, Mine may be missing.

1973vinplate.png

Check with Kevin Marti at www.martiauto.com If they can remake one for your car, that's where to go.

People remove them to repaint instead of masking them. Idiots!

Check with Kevin Marti at www.martiauto.com If they can remake one for your car, that's where to go.

Hmmmm.... I could be an idiot, yes,,, but I made the very difficult decision to remove my data label off the door when I restored my J Code Vert in 2015. As I completed a full rotisserie restoration, the car was sent out for media blasting. The doors had internal surface rust (yes, even though an AZ car, bare metal still rusts...), so these were sent out for chemical dipping to save the doors... So, I carefully removed and preserved mine and ordered the replacement from Marti Autoworks. Even if I was not sending the doors out for treatment, i would have removed the data label as leaving it and painting around it leaves a ridge that would show..., not acceptable in my books. So, too each their own, people have their reason's why they restore their car's as they see fit. I don't think it makes them any less a person or enthusiast...

Hmmmm.... I could be an idiot, yes,,, but I made the very difficult decision to remove my data label off the door when I restored my J Code Vert in 2015. As I completed a full rotisserie restoration, the car was sent out for media blasting. The doors had internal surface rust (yes, even though an AZ car, bare metal still rusts...), so these were sent out for chemical dipping to save the doors... So, I carefully removed and preserved mine and ordered the replacement from Marti Autoworks. Even if I was not sending the doors out for treatment, i would have removed the data label as leaving it and painting around it leaves a ridge that would show..., not acceptable in my books. So, too each their own, people have their reason's why they restore their car's as they see fit. I don't think it makes them any less a person or enthusiast...
Not what I meant it to read, my mistake. I should have edited it to read "People remove them to repaint instead of AT LEAST masking them off". My mind and my fingers don't always connect!  And I do agree, the correct way is what you did. That way you can get an exact reproduction. 

Of course, there is another reason the data sticker could be missing and that is if the door get changed out.

My original was faded and partially painted over, so i scraped off the overspray and took a picture, then has Marti make a new one using the picture of the original. That way I had the correct weight values for my car. Marti has two colors available. From what I have seen light blue is correct for 73 cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

My original was faded and partially painted over, so i scraped off the overspray and took a picture, then has Marti make a new one using the picture of the original. That way I had the correct weight values for my car. Marti has two colors available. From what I have seen light blue is correct for 73 cars.

Looks totally original to me. Good call.

Well - I found my very faint Data Plate but I am wondering....What color is 6B ? 

See picture below - Sure looks like 6B.  Not really looking like 6E but car is kind of medium yellow.

Not really Bright yellow.  Or do I have a 6C orig car with incorrect code if that's possible. 

Any explanation for 6B color code? 

heads and tails game online

Well - I found my very faint Data Plate but I am wondering....What color is 6B ? 

See picture below - Sure looks like 6B.  Not really looking like 6E but car is kind of medium yellow.

Not really Bright yellow.  Or do I have a 6C orig car with incorrect code if that's possible. 

There were 617 1973 Hardtops built with 6B exterior and FF interior color combination.

There were 617 1973 Hardtops built with 6B exterior and FF interior color combination.
Thanks Rackerm!  That is great info.  Mike SRO

Back