Rocketman's drop in tachometer - installed!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sprint Sportsroof
Just installed my drop in idiot light tacho from "Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations" and I've got to say it's the ducks guts (Australian expression meaning awesome!).

Looks totally natural installed and the three wire hook-up was very simple. There is the very slightest mismatch in the white graphic between the new tacho face and the speedo face, but that's only because the speedo has faded over 40 years. The new black face on the tacho matches the black on the speedo almost perfectly. Also the tacho pointer is wider than the speedo pointer, but that's pretty unnoticeable too. Only problem I had was that when I took the car out on the road to test the tacho out it started raining and I had only washed the car yesterday....

http://www.rccinnovations.com/Mustangs.php#Tachs

tacho003_resized.jpg

tacho005_resized.jpg

tacho009_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodpost:

I especially like the idea of sending in ones own core (idiot light) and having it modified. I have a core that I took out of my Grande when I substituted the tach from a Mach I into it...I think I will send the core in and have it done:).

THANKS for the post on your experience with the product!

BT

That´s a cool idea! I´m just about to order one myself.

Only problem I had was that when I took the car out on the road to test the tacho out it started raining and I had only washed the car yesterday....
That happens to me all the time. Ain´t life grand?

Also, duck guts really that awesome? I've seen other bird guts and they're really not that great :D
Got no idea how "the ducks guts" became a term of expression here meaning something was great, maybe our early settlers considered the duck guts as the tenderest and tastiest part of the bird :huh: Probably originated as a rhyming Australian slang nonsense terminology in a similar vein to something being called "the bees knees" in the US.

Used here in Mad Max to describe the XB Interceptor (at the 1:00 mark - video embedding not allowed so click on the video to watch it on the youtube site):

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, duck guts really that awesome? I've seen other bird guts and they're really not that great :D
Got no idea how "the ducks guts" became a term of expression here meaning something was great, maybe our early settlers considered the duck guts as the tenderest and tastiest part of the bird :huh: Probably originated as a rhyming Australian slang nonsense terminology in a similar vein to something being called "the bees knees" in the US.

Used here in Mad Max to describe the XB Interceptor (at the 1:00 mark - video embedding not allowed so click on the video to watch it on the youtube site):

LOL yeah I don't understand the "bee's knees" reference either.

Do you have a link to Rocketman's site or something? I may have to check this out for the 72 Coupe.

I'm gonna do this add on,the wife saw it on the computer and said merry xmas honey,,thinking ahead she is,, wonder how hard it would be to replace the sped. pointer with a matching rocketman one?

Awesome!

I checked out Rocketman's site and it shows where he can convert the center-pod ammeter into a voltmeter. I wonder if that would allow the use of a one-wire alternator conversion without blowing up the gauge.

I was thinking the same thing about getting an extra pointer when ordering and swapping out the original pointer with the extra one so they'll both match.

Back