Rechrome

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newold

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I have a fold down rear seat,and other parts, that’s going to need attention. What’s the best way to bring them back to life? IMG_4869.jpgIMG_4870.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would start by looking for cleaner panels.  May be cheaper than re-chroming the parts.  Check this site.  Parts are around.

kcmash

I've been working on restoring my fold down seat this past week in the evenings when I'm not in the garage.... using metal polish (autosol) and fingernails to remove ingrained rust on my chrome bit as well as stripping the panels of paint and glue, removing and recolouring carpet (sunfade) and reassembling. Lots of fiddling around.

I investigated rechroming, but ridiculous costs, (rear original bumper was around $600 to rechrome) so i have patiently worked on cleaning the metal. Thankfully, although there is pitting on the outer side, its not that bad and the metal polish has done a good job to restore the chrome. The underside has more surface rust and i've used rust stabiliser to stop it spreading.

Now, some of your chrome trim panels look alot worse than mine, and rechroming may be a cheaper option in the US than over here.... I doubt you will find used chrome panels in perfect condition and I don't believe you can get these in repro parts. Alternatively you may be able to get a metal person to fabricate using stainless steel.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The costs of re-chrome goes mainly into the polishing work to restore the surfaces to spotless mirror shine.

600 looks like a lot, but now that I (re)plate a lot these days, I know how time demanding some parts can be.

While I will never do chrome, as the kind of chemicals required for it could kill me. I know I will re-plate my fold down parts in nickel.

Tho polished zinc with a thin clear coat layer could also be very nice, both giving a much nicer shine than any paint could reproduce.

If you ever think about trying, know that you can be set with harmless chemicals and be able to do as much parts as you want for 1/3 of that bumper cost.

Steve, aka @Pegleg, now also enjoying plating his parts, could help you on where to find the necessary in the UK may you'd be interested...

Anyone try powder coating to look like chrome? I know it’s not the same just wondering how close it it

I think Turtle5353 replied once he tried (he's having a dedicated oven in its garage and he does pretty neat coated parts with it)

Tho, I don't think you could use powder coating because of the long hinges on these parts.

Unless you'd be able to separate them. I don't know if you can.

For the costs, as @bas70 suggests, making/let make new ones may very well be the best way to go. Especially if some profiles near original specs are available.

The costs of re-chrome goes mainly into the polishing work to restore the surfaces to spotless mirror shine.

600 looks like a lot, but now that I (re)plate a lot these days, I know how time demanding some parts can be.

While I will never do chrome, as the kind of chemicals required for it could kill me. I know I will re-plate my fold down parts in nickel.

Tho polished zinc with a thin clear coat layer could also be very nice, both giving a much nicer shine than any paint could reproduce.

If you ever think about trying, know that you can be set with harmless chemicals and be able to do as much parts as you want for 1/3 of that bumper cost.

Steve, aka @Pegleg, now also enjoying plating his parts, could help you on where to find the necessary in the UK may you'd be interested...
I like what you're doing with replating as a base rust-protecting layer to paint over, that's somethring i may consider doing for certain parts in the future. I also want to learn about phosphating for the parts that have the phosphate look.....

Phosphate and other metal electroless treatments are also on my experiments list. Especially interesting for big/long parts.

If you start/do, please share your findings!

Here some interesting video on the subject.

Found a site that has Chome color paint that is as real as it gets. Might want to check it out. Not cheap but less expensive than having it re-chrome. Go to https://alsacorp.com/ and on the left side choose Easy Chrome. I have been looking for something to use to restore the trim on my bezels. Looks like this is the way I'm going to end up going. Besides spray on kits they have a brush on kit that's not to bad price wise.

I attempt to restore consoles and have tried all the so called chrome paints and have found nothing that is even near.

I have posted many time that molasses is cheap and easy way to remove the rust and not hurt the chrome. Feed grade molasses with 9 parts water and just leave the parts in until clean. Maybe take out and brush some to get the crust broken. It does work.

If you were in U.S. for sure it is cheaper to find better parts. I have turned down several fold downs that were nice.

Here is pic of a convertible windshield inside header chrome that was in molasses tank. I did not have one deep enough at the time but do now.

I would wire brush thick rust off. Second pass would be stainless steel scrubbers. Third pass wire wool. Then i would use electrolysis to remove the rest of the rust. Then polishing wheel to remove pitting. Then i would either get them chrome plated by professionals or zinc plate at home and use a good polish and you would get that chrome look :D  Just take a look at Fabrices thread and you will see how its done.   :D   Its a lot of hard work and effort but worth it if your on a budget.

Found a site that has Chome color paint that is as real as it gets.   Might want to check it out.  Not cheap but less expensive than having it re-chrome.   Go to https://alsacorp.com/ and on the left side choose Easy Chrome.  I have been looking for something to use to restore the trim on my bezels.  Looks like this is the way I'm going to end  up going.  Besides spray on kits they have a brush on kit that's not to bad price wise.
looks good, what's the price of both options ?

Phosphate and other metal electroless treatments are also on my experiments list. Especially interesting for big/long parts.

If you start/do, please share your findings!

Here some interesting video on the subject.

thanks for sharing. I'm definitely going to have a go at this at some point in the future for my bits that need phosphating, either someone in the UK stocks Manganese Phosphate or I will have to brush up on my Chemistry and cooking skills and make it myself from Manganese dioxide and phosphoric acid. I see Manganese dioxide is available on ebay, Need to find out if safe to order thee online, don't want anyone think I'm building a bomb !

Found a site that has Chome color paint that is as real as it gets.   Might want to check it out.  Not cheap but less expensive than having it re-chrome.   Go to https://alsacorp.com/ and on the left side choose Easy Chrome.  I have been looking for something to use to restore the trim on my bezels.  Looks like this is the way I'm going to end  up going.  Besides spray on kits they have a brush on kit that's not to bad price wise.
looks good, what's the price of both options ?
price was in the link and the hobby kit is $139, the other kits are more industrial usage and around $300. 

Hobby kit includes

•  
  • 2 oz Easy Chrome

• 2 oz Easy Chrome Basecoat

• 2 Speed Shapes (with basecoat)

• 2 Speed Shapes (w/o basecoat)

• 1 Polish Cloth

I have an email into them to see if the Hobby Kit can be brushed on or if it is spray only. Would be easier to do the trim on the bezel's and smaller details then having to tape everything up. I'll post their reply when I get it.

Update - Just got email back from Alsacorp and they said it can be sprayed or brushed on. Here are the instructions they sent.

APPLICATION:

Start With a clean, smooth and ready surface.

Begin to brush on your basecoat only doing 1 Layer of base, as long as your part is covered you will only need 1 layer. If sprayed with an air gun, you can reduce the basecoat with water by 25% so it can spray out smoothly from your air gun. Only 1 layer is needed.

Let the basecoat AIR DRY 1hr 70°F or BAKE 20min 160°F

Basecoat should be fully DRY. Before you use Easy Chrome, SHAKE bottle very well.

Begin by brushing with a CLEAN brush, 1 medium wet layer of Easy Chrome.

Chrome should start to turn in 2 minutes. Let the Easy Chrome AIR DRY 1hr 70°F or BAKE 20min 160°F

You are done!

I know nothing replaces re-chroming but if this is at least 90% chrome reflective without the dull silver look it will work for a lot of the small jobs at a fraction of the cost.

The question that needs to be answer is what level of quality are you looking for. For me, I'm building a driver that I want to look good but I don't have the high dollars needed to get the professional work. So I will choose where to spend those dollars to get the most bang for my buck without sacrificing quality where needed.

Re-chroming something that is somewhat out of sight will be lower on my quality list than say my bumper.

It's a silver based chemical, it gives fantastic results, very near of chrome, but make sure you clear coat it, as it will tarnish fast.

Works great on plastics or parts that are not used/touched often.

in UK you can also buy spray cans.

https://www.stardustcolors.co.uk/chrome-paint/141-chrome-paint-1liter.html

I've found also a company in France selling these for 50 euros. If I find the url back i'll update.

Or offer this guy $400.  Sell what you don't need, and just clean the chrome with 0000 steel wool or something even lighter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Mustang-Mach-1-Fastback-Fold-Down-Rear-Seat-Assembly-Used-Clean-/202647308488

or this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1973-Mustang-Mach-1-Fastback-Rear-Seat-Fold-Down-Assembly-/264288321658

Or see what Mike at Motor City Mustang Parts, Don at Ohio Mustang Supply, Joe at Mustangs Plus in Kansas City, or others can do for you.

kcmash

All that re-chrome sounds toxic.  Of course you can always try 0000 steel wool on the parts you have.  If they get fairly  clean, just wax or polish real well.  I worked miracles with dead and rusty chrome bumpers and Magnums using that trick.

I have a fold down seat that I would be willing to make a deal on.

I have the seat and everything already. Just the chrome is pitted pretty good

Back