Gunk Carburetor & Parts Cleaner with Drip Basket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I'm going to rebuild a spare carburetor for my 6 cylinder 250 CI Carter 1bbl carburetor. The Gunk Carburetor and Parts Cleaner with Drip Basket  is available local at Advance Auto for $27.99 plus a discount coupon of $5.60 for a total of $22.39. 

I see another brand on Amazon called Chem Drip for $29.99 with free shipping. 

Amazon also has the same Gunk cleaner as Advance Auto, but is priced at $34.99 (with free shipping lollerz ). 

Anyone have any experience using one of these or any other brand? Or should I just use a spray carb cleaner instead of the soaking basket?

I've used the Chem Dip bucket with the basket, it works but nothing like the old (pre-environmentally safe) stuff did. I haven't tried the Gunk, but it seems to be better rated. Maybe I'll try it next time.

I used the Berrymans Chem tool from O'Reilly.

Seemed to work OK.

kcmash

I have used the Chem Dip on old carbs from my motorcycles, as well as other parts and left in for a few days, did help clean things up a bit but I have found that a full disassemble, some carb cleaner and maybe an ultra sonic cleaning is faster and gives better results. I usually keep an old "E" string from a guitar to go through the passages on the jets and make sure that the low idle and fast idle jets were cleaned out very well. I have not taken my Cleveland carb apart yet, don't know what type of jets it has but I plan to do everything with carb cleaner and a 15 minute or so ultra sonic cleaning. I also always had a can of brasso and q-tips available for the float and needle seat on those carbs as they would leak like crazy if not cleaned properly.

Tom

I have use Gunk years ago and it was a good product. No recent experience. I also have an ultrasonic cleaner and that thing is pretty amazing. I ran some seemingly clean Dellorto carbs through mine and it was pretty surprising to see a cloud of stuff floating out of the carbs when I turned it on. Chemical cleaners have their place, but adding motion to the cleaning media makes a huge difference. I had some non-operational horns that I tossed in just to see what would happen. They now sound great.

Back