Re-instating Vinyl Roof soon

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I will be re-instating vinyl roof soon. My car had none when i bought it and i purchased the vinyl trim surround from a fellow member.

I have no idea how the trim fits to the roof apart from where there are filler marks on the roof where holes were for some of the fixings to go through.

The important question is; Do i apply any backing to the trim/roof and do i need to put sealer where bolts go through the roof.

After paint the order of jobs would be Vinyl roof, headliner, and lastly front/rear windshields

Not real familiar with the vinyl roof on the coupe body. The Mach 1 3/4 vinyl roof like mine has the welded T studs that hold the plastic trim clips and then you simply snap the trim on. There were no open holes for screws.

Lots of times body shops grind the T studs off because a pain to work around them getting the body straight. They then put the clips on using screws or pop rivets. You do need to seal around any holes that go through the body for sure.

I use the 4-M strip caulk that does not harden over time. Use it on the quarter panel end cap nuts / studs, the trim between the tail lights and along the roof rail to seal it up on the vinyl roof.

Some pics of the Mach 1 roof, trim, clips and the 3-M sealer.

The two end caps on my trim had a special plastic clip molded into the aluminum trim that slid on the T stud to close the ends up.

Steve, the coupe had both studs and holes depending on the area.

When you got the trim did you also get the clips with it ?

Some are the plastic slide on and some are a wire / stud and nut type.

I just removed a set of that trim and then cut off / scraped the roof to get it out of

the way, before this damn spinal surgery.

The vinyl roof has to go on before the headliner goes in, so you can access the nuts inside the roof.

Steve, the coupe had both studs and holes depending on the area.

When you got the trim did you also get the clips with it ?

Some are the plastic slide on and some are a wire / stud and nut type.

I just removed a set of that trim and then cut off / scraped  the roof to get it out of

the way, before this damn spinal surgery.

The vinyl roof has to go on before the headliner goes in, so you can access the nuts inside the roof.
Yes i got both types of clip with it

Did the clips change over 71-73? My car was a early 71 built late 1970

Steve,

Here's the fastener illustration from the MPC.  I've also attached it as a PDF to download.

You have the order of installation down, just the top trim needs to go on before the headliner. IIRC, any of the studs with nuts on the inside of the roof had a mastic sealer on the nuts. Even if they didn't, it's good practice anyway.

7172couperoof.pdf

Attachments

• 7172couperoof.pdf
    201 KB · Views: 2
Steve,

Here's the fastener illustration from the MPC.  I've also attached it as a PDF to download.

You have the order of installation down, just the top trim needs to go on before the headliner. IIRC, any of the studs with nuts on the inside of the roof had a mastic sealer on the nuts. Even if they didn't, it's good practice anyway.

::thumb::  Thank You Vey much. That is a great help. Will definately take your advice on mastic ::thumb::

It was still lead in the 71-3's for the 4 roof joints

I don't recall seeing lead anywhere else in the body though

Back